Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc motor speed control by pwm,newbie seek help

Status
Not open for further replies.

iclok

I am controling a dc motor speed with PWM.By triggering mosfet with that pulse, the output voltage is not as expected when the motor is connected. For instance,suppose duty cycle of the pulse is 10%,average voltage between the motor is much more than 10% of Vs(around 30-40%). However when the motor is taken out(no load),the voltage measure between the motor is acurrate, thats mean Vout is nearly 10% of voltage source. Why is it happen? Is that i need a snubber circuit for mosfet? How snubber circuit work? How we calculate the value of R and C? Is that this is the solution? Or the problem occur because of motor? I have add a diode across the motor already.

Attachments

• john2.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 242
you say when the motor is not there the voltage is correct? since it will be pulsing how are you measuring it?

If it is a DVM then ok the average voltage would come out.

The addition of a high value capacitor (with sufficent current ripple rating) AT the motor +ve terminal will provide tank capacitance to the motor and make the voltage supply look more like a voltage source than a current source.

Also add a low ohmic 10Ohm in series with the Gate, this will stop the creation of a pearce oscillator..

Also that diode, is its characteristics matched to the FET's switching performance, if it isn't you could get turn-on problems

Since it looks like you are wanting to maintain the voltage I would suggest you put a close-loop around the system to maintain the voltage. This way you will be able to maintain the voltage. Remeber a motor is in effect just an inductor.

As to a snubber for this type of circuit with this type of voltage/power it will not be needed.

A snubber is only used when switching losses are such that it can damage the switching device or the turn-off voltage overshoot is very high that it will kill the device.

Snubbers are the very last resort. Better layout of power devices with low-inductive busbars are always better. All snubbers do is move switching losses from the device into the snubbers R component..

Styx said:
you say when the motor is not there the voltage is correct? since it will be pulsing how are you measuring it?

If it is a DVM then ok the average voltage would come out.

The addition of a high value capacitor (with sufficent current ripple rating) AT the motor +ve terminal will provide tank capacitance to the motor and make the voltage supply look more like a voltage source than a current source.

Also add a low ohmic 10Ohm in series with the Gate, this will stop the creation of a pearce oscillator..

Also that diode, is its characteristics matched to the FET's switching performance, if it isn't you could get turn-on problems

Since it looks like you are wanting to maintain the voltage I would suggest you put a close-loop around the system to maintain the voltage. This way you will be able to maintain the voltage. Remeber a motor is in effect just an inductor.

As to a snubber for this type of circuit with this type of voltage/power it will not be needed.

A snubber is only used when switching losses are such that it can damage the switching device or the turn-off voltage overshoot is very high that it will kill the device.

Snubbers are the very last resort. Better layout of power devices with low-inductive busbars are always better. All snubbers do is move switching losses from the device into the snubbers R component..

Ya I measure the average voltage. The main problem is when there is no load the average voltage come out accurately. When the motor is connected, the voltage measure become larger.
Actually I am not very clear to your suggestion may be can you please show me the connection of circuit? May be the "close loop"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back