Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor -- Reducing Hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josdek

Wow this is a great site, wish I had found it sooner.

As a fun project I took apart my older treadmill hoping to figure out a way to make it quieter at low speeds as it hums fairly loudly under load. It has a DC motor which is supplied by a choke which runs off a PC board power supply, not sure what kind of supply it is exactly. I don't see a rectifier or any filter capacitors on the board, just a wire directly to the motor from the board and then one from the board to the choke, then to the motor.

I did check the brushes and cleaned up the commutator but that didn't make any difference. Researching this, it seems like the hum might be from the power to the motor not being pure DC. I am wondering if there is something I could do, like adding a rectifier or filter capacitor to the output of the supply to clean it up and make the motor quieter. The voltage supplied to the motor appears to peak at around 37, under load. I was not able to check the current.

Thanks for any input!

Is the hum 60 Hz or 120 Hz?

Wall transformers put out 60 Hz if you press your ear against them [and even if you don't]; flourescents put out 120 Hz.

Last edited:
Ok it's definitely a 60hz hum.....

So, I = C ΔV/ΔT, with ΔT being 1/(60x2) seconds.
If you know the motor V [let's say 12v], and you want a < 1 volt ripple on this then ΔV = 1, then if you know I in amps then you can calculate the min value of C in farads.
You ought to post a partial schematic or put a meter or a scope on this circuit first before you hook up some huge capacitor. Or, I guess you could put the cap in series with a fast blow fuse.

Last edited:
Willbe, thanks for your reply. There's a schematic glued to the inside cover but I can't remove it without damaging it and I haven't found one on the web for this model.

I will get a current measurement one way or the other. I'm planning on using a capacitor rated at 4 times the max voltage in the circuit. Please excuse the basic questions but this cap would go across the + and - wires, not in series with one, right? Is this sort of cap generally polarized?

glued to the inside cover
I will get a current measurement one way or the other.
capacitor rated at 4 times the max voltage in the circuit
polarized

Can you take a close-up photo of the power supply section of the schematic?
2x max V is big enough; if you have the bucks I'd spend it on capacity or ripple current rating.
The cap shunts the DC motor.
A cap however large this turns out to be will probably be polarized; aluminum electrolytics are cheaper than tantalums.
:)

Wall transformers put out 60 Hz if you press your ear against them [and even if you don't]; flourescents put out 120 Hz.
Actually they put out 60Hz and many harmonics 120Hz, 180Hz, 240Hz etc. so do fluroscents and AC motors.

Actually they put out 60Hz and many harmonics 120Hz, 180Hz, 240Hz etc. so do fluroscents and AC motors.

Flourescents with magnetic, non-electronic ballasts do this?
:confused:

Magnetic ballasts of course.

Magnetic ballasts of course.

Can you show waveforms? The mag. ballast is all passive components.

Maybe the plasma discharge in the tube does this?
:confused:

Here's a pic of the schematic

Hopefully this will be readable, it's 75kb, never posted a pic here before.

Attachments

• Schematic 008b.jpg
    Schematic 008b.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 197
  • Schematic 008d.jpg
    Schematic 008d.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips