Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor position control

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlb123

Hi I really need advice/help!!

I have a OEM satnav screen im trying to use in a car pc setup. The monitor opens and shuts automatically on recieving a power signal and also on a button push.

The motor is DC with a gear on the shaft going to a pot.

It was working but the oem boards have been broken by myself (foil ribbon cable linking two pcbs has 4 tracks torn) the potentiometer fell apart and I think a component like an inductor is damaged on the board....

so I am wondering if I can make my own system on some verro/copper board but havent a clue where to start...I did GCSE Electronics and A-Level but don't know any circuits which would help me :-(

I am in your hands people!

Karl

Some pictures would help a lot, as I need to see to make any opinions.

Hey sure sorry about that. I managed to fix the ribbon cable but have an issue with a pot I believe...

should a pot be able to spin around and around with no "stops"??

Hey sure sorry about that. I managed to fix the ribbon cable but have an issue with a pot I believe...

should a pot be able to spin around and around with no "stops"??

Pots do not spin with out stops.
I did find one that will but it is hard to find, and hard to pay for.
There are shaft encoders that look like a pot but are not.

I think I broke the pot...it just fell apart you see and when I manually turned the motor shaft it would lock like as if at the end of the pot.... and vica versa..

Now I see the picture.
So there is some electronics that sits under a gear.
Do you think the gear should turn more than 3/4 of a turn under normal conditions?
Does it act like a pot? Can you measure the resistance on the three wires as you turn the gear?
It might be a shaft encoder that opens/ closes contacts every turn or (every 1/16 of a turn).

View attachment 62941

All I know is the small gear shaft drives the "pots" gear and the idea is that the little gear is in the moving screen and runs along the track to raise or lower the pop up screen. Obviously stopping the motor when screen is up max or stopping motor when screen is down low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back