Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor and noise ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

voidptr

I will run 2 small dc motors on a little bot im building ...
i already used standard caps noise reduction , 1 cap (0.1uF) across motor terminals and 2 others from the terminals to the motor casing ...

noise level is not bad but i still can see a bit of it.

is grounding the casing of motor to a common ground with the power battery be a good think / good practice ?, fast silly tests don't seem to show any difference ( im running 2 different sets of batteries for motor and controller ...

im thinkink to have shielded cable to motor this might be where noise spread...

any others good practice, advise ?

:)

- Twist the motor leads together.
- Install a toroidal ferrite core on the (twisted) motor leads (near the motor).
- Use shielded cable and ground the shield from both ends.

Last edited:
- Twist the motor leads together.
- Install a toroidal ferrite core on the (twisted) motor leads (near the motor).
- Use shielded cable and ground the shield from both ends.

:)
I saw those kind of cables with core before, but never really thought about them, after few researches and thoughts it makes good sense :)

I think i have 2 or 3 already made from recycle old junk already :)

Note the shield should never carry current...

Just seeing the noise isn't a problem... there's only a problem if it interfers with your control circuitry. I did an industrial timer that turned on/off several AC solenoids and had a 1/4hp motor connected to the same power supply that came into my board. I used filters on my power supply to the micro and could put the unshielded board right up against the motor with flawless operation. Here's what I used:

View attachment 68583View attachment 68584

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back