Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC IN, DC out power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

testingpurpose

Hi,
first post ;)
I'd like to design a switching power 10A regulator giving 12V OUT with 8-15V IN.
Any idea of chip or drawing ?

Thanks a lot.

It's not an easy task to design a good switching converter from scratch, but if you have a good design to start from, it's not terrible to build one.

I built a very similar converter a couple years ago, it basically fits your specifications, and even handles a lower input voltage (I haven't tested exactly how low, but I know it can survive below 7.5v for short periods). It won't handle 10A - I haven't tested how much it really will handle, but I believe it to be somewhere between 5 and 10A. I built it from someone else's design, making it quite easy. It doesn't use very high-frequency switching, so the inductors/capacitors required are rather large, unlike some of the fancier converters you see. I used it successfully to power my carPC which needed a regulated 12v input - the PC probably never used more than 60W at any given time, but the regulator never even warmed up while running it.
https://eegeek.net/content/view/20/31/

Does it matter if the polarity of the output is opposite to the input?

Use a buck-boost converter.

Hi alls,

Thanks for quick replies.

I know, switching supply is sometime difficult to draw. I the past I played with lm396.
But drawing given make me think to extend design to computer supply in car.
So add 5V and 3.3V step down converter. I will do a search on google.

Thanks, Oleg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back