DC IN, DC out power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

testingpurpose

Hi,
first post
I'd like to design a switching power 10A regulator giving 12V OUT with 8-15V IN.
Any idea of chip or drawing ?

Thanks a lot.

It's not an easy task to design a good switching converter from scratch, but if you have a good design to start from, it's not terrible to build one.

I built a very similar converter a couple years ago, it basically fits your specifications, and even handles a lower input voltage (I haven't tested exactly how low, but I know it can survive below 7.5v for short periods). It won't handle 10A - I haven't tested how much it really will handle, but I believe it to be somewhere between 5 and 10A. I built it from someone else's design, making it quite easy. It doesn't use very high-frequency switching, so the inductors/capacitors required are rather large, unlike some of the fancier converters you see. I used it successfully to power my carPC which needed a regulated 12v input - the PC probably never used more than 60W at any given time, but the regulator never even warmed up while running it.
https://eegeek.net/content/view/20/31/

Hi alls,

Thanks for quick replies.

I know, switching supply is sometime difficult to draw. I the past I played with lm396.
But drawing given make me think to extend design to computer supply in car.
So add 5V and 3.3V step down converter. I will do a search on google.

Thanks, Oleg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…