Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dc-dc Voltage Regulator Circuit Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARDEEPSINGH

Hi,
I have a 24V battery and want to connect a 12 Vdc, 20 Amps load (dc motor) to it. How can I regulate the battery's output to the required voltage. Could it be done with the help of some thyristor. Please help in providing some circuit.
Thanks,
H. S. Bhurji

Use a smaller battery? Usually the motor is the largest load in a system and therefore dictates the battery size. You try to size everything so you DON'T need to regulate the voltage to the largest load, especially for a load that doesn't need regulation (motors being a big example).

High current DC-DC converters (that uses MOSFETs or thyristors or whatever) and such costs hundreds of dollars and are not easy to build.

WHat's the problem? Can your motor run on 24V but it runs too fast? In that case just use a motor controller (an H-bridge if it's a brushed motor) and run it at 50% PWM. If the motor can't handle 24V, then you cannot do this and should use a lower voltage battery.

Last edited:
HARDEEPSINGH said:
Hi,
I have a 24V battery and want to connect a 12 Vdc, 20 Amps load (dc motor) to it. How can I regulate the battery's output to the required voltage. Could it be done with the help of some thyristor. Please help in providing some circuit.
Thanks,
H. S. Bhurji

Is a standard vehicle battery, if so, you can access the 12V cell strap and use half the battery at any one time.
Just make sure to charge both halves equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back