Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Amp meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceilingwalker

Good day all. I have a DC (50-0-50) analog amp meter. I would like to have it actually read micro amps as opposed to amps. Is this possible and, if so, how can I do it. Thank you.

1 amp = 1,000,000ua. You need an amplifier with a gain of 10^6 that has a 50a output current capacity. A gain of 10^6 is not insurmountable, but the output driver could be. BGmicro has 50ua meters for $10 or so.

The fast answer is NO!. As in no way.
I can not see your meter. There is a chance that the meter movement is actually a 1mA or 100uA meter movement. There might be a heavy piece of wire used as a shunt. Open up the meter and look for a large piece of wire or a flat strap from one terminal to the other. Remove that and the meter will respond with a very small amount of current. How much is a question.

Good day all. I have a DC (50-0-50) analog amp meter. I would like to have it actually read micro amps as opposed to amps. Is this possible and, if so, how can I do it. Thank you.

Some of those meters have an internal shunt, and some are to be used with an external, remote shunt. Do you know which type you have?

Do you know which type you have?

Shunt is internal

OK, look real hard at the actual meter movement. Look for anything like FS= in small print. Should (with luck) be somewhere on the meter movement face below the scale. Maybe something like FS = 1mA or maybe FS = 50uA? See anything there?

Ron

Ron

Last edited:
OK, look real hard at the actual meter movement. Look for anything like FS= in small print. Should (with luck) be somewhere on the meter movement face below the scale. Maybe something like FS = 1mA or maybe FS = 50uA? See anything there?

Ron

Ron

No Sir. All is says on the face is "DC AMPERES" and "Simpson". On a sticker along the side it says SKU:02810 then S/N AH2302551011 then it has the number 1327. That's all I can see. I haven't taken it apart yet because I didn't want to void the warranty.

It's a 3.5" Wide Vue meter, 0.001 ohms resistance. ).001 ohms * 50 amps = 50mv meter range w/o the shunt.

Last edited:
This is the data sheet for the series of meter that you have. Per JaguarJoe, when all is said and done you actually have a 50-0-50 amp meter with an internal shunt and less the shunt you have a -50-0-50mV meter movement. Attached is the meter you have highlighted.

They do make exactly what you want but I don't see it happening with what you have. :(

<EDIT> WE do have a forum member in Phoenix and he has frequently spoken of a huge mega electronics surplus place in your area. I don't know the name off hand but they may have what you want for cheap. </EDIT>

Ron

Attachments

• Simpson Meter.gif
    Simpson Meter.gif
    70 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back