Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-AC-step up transformer-DC. possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

I have been restricted from using any kind of line voltage in any of my "experiments", forcing me to instead stay with 9V batteries. by the end of this year, I want to create a pulse of electricity large enough to vaporize a good sized hole in a nickel. hell, it would be nice if I could vaporize the coin all together.

unfortunately, as i has hjust stated, I only have access to a couple of 9V batteries. I have a large network of capacitors step up in parallel, and a sizable transformer. is it possible to turn a 9V(or a couple of 9Vs) DC into a type of AC that the transformer can operate on?

I am thinking that if i can make the dc into ac, i can step it up to a high voltage, say, 50V-500V, charge up my capacitor network, and and deliver blinding shock that would vaporize my coin. is this possible, or would i just be blowing out my batteries?

also, if i can, could you please show me a schematic of something that turns dc to ac or point me to a site that shows the schematic?

thank you very much in advance

To do what you want (destroying coins) requires LOTS of power - you haven't got the power available from small batteries.

You can convert DC to AC using an oscillator, feed this through a transformer, and you get a higher AC voltage - although as the voltage increases, the current decreases (simple physics).

This type of device is called an inverter, and is commonly used to provide mains voltages from a car battery!.

To burn a hole through a nickel will require tremendous power. Ever hear of coin shrinkers? They use an extremely powerful pulse of electricity to physically shrink a coin. The principles they use to step up voltage and generate pulses is applicable to your project (but you won't need anywhere near this much power).

Needless to say, high voltage electronics are extremely dangerous so if you are unsure, ask someone who knows!

**broken link removed**

My AC welder probably has sufficient capacity (230 amps). I don't know what the open circuit or full load amps are on the secondary but it's not high voltage. Since the nickel is relatively conductive (low resistance) you'll likely need to induce a lot of current flow to get the power delivered to the right spot. I don't think the welder would instantly vaporize a hole but it would burn a hole quickly.

The input to the welder is 220 volts and it's on a 50 amp circuit. An optimistic but possible time to burn a hole might be 1/2 second though intuition tells me it's longer. Still, this might help begin to define the order of magnitude, in terms of power, that you'll need. You might then work backward to see just how many 9 volt batteries are equivalent to 1/2 second, 220 volts, 50 amps.

to deal with the shortage of current, I am going to employ a large network of capacitors to charge up to the high voltage (which I have already constructed) and discharge a large ammount of energy into the unsuspecting nickel. current is not a problem.

I am also thinking, if I were to discharge a 63 V capacitor network of 20,000 uF through a transformer, would i also step up the voltage further?

Even if you charge the caps slowly, a 9v battery has a limited amount of power.

You can't "vaporize" a nickle. You might blast a chip off it but it's not vapor, it's gonna be small particles.

same difference. I want at least the appearance of vaporization, like I shock it and a big pice of the nickel disappears in an explosion of sparks.

i did it with solder, charging the capacitors with about 8 or 9 9V batteries clicked directly together in series, and i would get bright sparks of molten solder bouncing on the table leaving burn marks before completely going away.

I want to do the same with coins.

also, even though 9Vs have a limited ammount of energy, it doesn't mean I can't hook a couple of them in parallel to get more current from them.

please don't post anymore posts about how 9Vs have limited power. I know.

I'm trying to be groundbreaking and make high voltage projects without using the mains.

I have no access to the mains, and I still want high voltage

I want big sparks so that I can impress/scare my lesser friends.
and i want it done with 9Vs. and I need help.

Halogrunt1234 said:
also, even though 9Vs have a limited ammount of energy, it doesn't mean I can't hook a couple of them in parallel to get more current from them.

please don't post anymore posts about how 9Vs have limited power. I know.

I'm trying to be groundbreaking and make high voltage projects without using the mains.

I have no access to the mains, and I still want high voltage

You certainly do need help! :lol:

There's nothing 'ground breaking' about making high voltage projects without using the mains - it's perfectly possible - it basically depends how many batteries you want to throw at it?.

Bear in mind it will cost you a GREAT many times more than using the mains - start by buying the batteries in hundreds - not in tens!.

Halogrunt1234 said:

So, you finally tell us the REAL purpose of your quest :wink:

The way I see it, you sure need help but it may not be of the electronic kind. A bit of maturity and understanding that advice given here may not be what you "want" to hear would go a long way towards helping you.

happy growing up.

Klaus

You need to charge a capacitor with DC, so do some research on DC to DC boost converters. If you charge 10,000 uF to 100 volts, it won't be lethal (but could be painful) but will make a big bang!

I hate to say this, but if you've been "restricted from using line voltage", you shouldn't even go near that pulse discharge stuff.

A shock from line-voltage is like a spark of static electricity compared to what a Maxwell cap will do. Not to mention, most of these experiments are carried out inside blast shields--notice how the one site talks about the shrapnel breaking bullet proof glass...

Why not try something like a solid-state "tesla coil" instead? You can get some really big arcs out of a flyback transformer (powered by batteries if necessary), and it's only a little bit dangerous.

CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!

mmm banks of capacitors.....rings a bell,,,oh yeah one of my neighbors was messing with the banks thing recently( like night b4 last) and a rectifier failed(he swares) but I was there and it looked mor like lack of caution to me ..not funny..please be careful!

ok, about the flyback transformer... I found one in a TV, and I have desoldered it (still have my hands) and now I want to figure out how to use it. I'm not finding very much at all on how to use it, and I want to figure out how to wire the damn thing to work.

also, I was playing around with about 80 9V batteries, hooking them up to transformers in sich a way as if they were just one big coil, and shocking the crap out of a little bit of brass. it was fun. even after I accidentally shocked myself with about 720 V straight from the batteries. melted quite a lot of wire too.

Im at the destructive stage of my maturity and i want big sparks. I would agree that I need psychological help, but I'll grow out of it. after i've vaporized a few coins that is.

How effective would car batteries be?

also, a tesla coil looks hard to build.
I just want a big destructive spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back