Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dc 12v to 6v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozil

Hi Everyone, i need a circuit which can convert 12v dc from a battery to 6v dc, please post the circuit diag along,
Thanking you all

Either a linear or a buck regulator will do the job. What load current did you have in mind?

6V exactly? It's pretty easy to find a regulator IC to do the job but the closest number to 6V is 5V (used by electronics). Perhaps a zener diode to clamp the voltage to 6V.

I have a load current of about 4A at 6v, Does zener diode is enough or gotta find one Regulator IC.Can't go below 6, 7v it's ok. any reccomedations?

Wasting 6v at 4A (24W) in a linear regulator is a bit excessive. By the time you've added in heatsink costs etc, you may find the the previously suggested buck regulator a much better option. This achieves high efficiency and should not waste much power.

efficiency is only part of the issue. Dr. Em is correct though a bit understated on the impact of 24W dissipation. A linear would require a rather large heatsink and decent ventilation or it will cook itself to death. when all is said and done, a buck regulator will run dramatically cooler and may even cost less than a linear+heatsink.

I'd say the buck regulator is the only way to go.

Lozil said:
Hi Everyone, i need a circuit which can convert 12v dc from a battery to 6v dc, please post the circuit diag along,
Thanking you all

My job is circuits design.

Here is ...

Attachments

• Lozil.JPG
    Lozil.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 971
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back