Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

db9 female-male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastonanthony

problem with the programmer i built a few days ago, the schematic used a db9 male as the connector, but my PC doesn't have a female slot for that connector, it only has a db9 male slot, so i used a female connector for the programmer for it. i just discovered a while ago that the db9 male and db9 female have different pinouts!how do i know which pin gives TX, RX, CTS, DTR, RTS, and GND?
this is how the db9 male and female terminals are labelled:

male: _ female:
5 4 3 2 1 _ 1 2 3 4 5
_9 8 7 6 ___6 7 8 9

Which pins should i switch?

by the way, i used the olimex pg2c

Attachments

• pg2c.gif
    pg2c.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 478
If you look at the pinouts you provided.

male: _ female:
5 4 3 2 1 _ 1 2 3 4 5
_9 8 7 6 ___6 7 8 9

This is looking at the back of the connectors. If you bend the above diagram in half, about the middle, then pin 1 will coincide with pin 1, 2 with 2 etc.

So, don't swap any pins.

Pin 2 will always be out from your circuit and into the PC.
Pin 3 will always be out from the PC and into your circuit.

Which one of these is referred to as TX or RX is dependent on which device you are talking about - your circuit or the PC.

So,
Pin 2 is TX on your circuit and RX on the PC.
Pin 3 is RX on your circuit and TX on the PC.

HTH

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back