Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Datasheet Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamanory

How accurate (in general) are datasheets for modeling?

If I wanted to write my own op amp model for a high degree of accuracy (even if that meant a slowly simulating model), could I find everything I needed on a datasheet?

Would there be an advantage to gather real data from a real op amp before I wrote the model? (ie. maybe like corner cases that are not described on the datasheet or others?)

Datasheets are not designed to provide modeling accuracy. They represent the statistical distributions of the samples from manufacturing lots. A typical value may be interpreted as a mean of a normally distributed random variable. A max or a min will typically be three standard deviations away from the mean.

From what I know of simulation it is quite difficult to go from a datasheet to a model even for a simple device like a diode. For a MOSFET it is damn near impossible unless you are an expert in device physics.

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here!"

If you design a circuit where if you made many of them then you want them all to work then don't use extreme spec's.

The voltage gain of an opamp is from 25,000 for some to 1 million for others even if they have the same part number and are made by the same manufacurer. So don't expect a gain of 150,000 (typical) from all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back