Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data loging software

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

I know for sure that a few forum members deal with this or dealt with it in the past

I want some advise for data loging software and interfaces

what is your experiance and what is good and what not

is there freeware availible or what are the cost implications for this kind of software

Thanks in advance
Robert-Jan

You might find what you need at sourceforge.net

What do you want to log? Specific values at timed intervals, and analog sampled single, etc? Do you have the ability to use a PC at the point where the logging will happen or will you need an on-site logger with the ability to periodically upload its logs to a PC or similar?

How many channels of logging do you need?

Torben

Hi torben

the idea is to log several channels (minimum 8 but more is also posible)in set time intervals and the posebility to set alarm trigger points
its mainly on/off detection over time but a few chanels will be a analoge voltage between 0 and 10V

it's the intention to work with a PC

Robert-Jan

When you say "interfaces", you are referring to the hardware interface to get the data into the PC, right?

Are you looking a pre-made unit, and if so, what is your budget?

Torben

Hi torben

the idea is to log several channels (minimum 8 but more is also posible)in set time intervals and the posebility to set alarm trigger points
its mainly on/off detection over time but a few chanels will be a analoge voltage between 0 and 10V

it's the intention to work with a PC

Robert-Jan

hi RJ,
Its possible to use two, MCP3204, 4 channel 12bit SPI adc, connected to the PC's parallel port.
They accept 0v thru +5V input levels.
The timing and logging/display would be done in the PC.

You can buy extra parallel input pcbs for the PC, also add another dual RS232 pcb, should need to log additional data.

EDIT: added a pdf of the MCP3202, 2 channel version that I use with the PC.

Attachments

• ParIF2.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Hi torben and eric thanks for your response

with interfaces I do mean the hardware part of it

for the on/off monitoring i can adjust the signal input to anny level so 0 to 5 volt is not a problem

the 0-10 volt sensor out put I would have to bring it down to 0-5 Volt wich would also not a problem

the thing is that i am not realy a computer whiz kid so i don't realy have a cleu about the software part of it what to use and what not

when it runs i am quick enough to discover it but till that stages it's a bit strugeling

price wise i do have some leeway as this is partly for my hobby and if it works as i have in mind I will use it also comercialy in some aplications but the first initial cost will be from my wallet

Robert-Jan

hi RJ,
This is a screen shot of my MCP3202 program, its written in Visual Basic5.
Using the PC, with the interface dwg I posted.

If you want a copy, I will post it.
Its written for my own use, but I will tidy it up a little and add some comments.
I also have a MCP3204 version.

You can edit or use it in anyway you wish.:)

Attachments

• espMCP3202. 16.gif
    espMCP3202. 16.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
hi RJ,
Another PC logging example, LM35 temperature sensors with MCP3202 SPI into the parallel port.

Attachments

• LM35_MCP.gif
    LM35_MCP.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
hi RJ,
Another possible solution would be to use say a 16F877A [ 8 adc's] and link to a logging PC via the RS232 port.

Hi eric and mikebits

last afternoon I was out of the office

I did had a look on sourceforge.net and still explore a bit on it it's seems a good site for this kind of stuff
till now I ve seen only comercialy (pricy solutions there) that can't be justified yet for my aplications

I don't have a RD budget as these things are not our core buisnes

(we are a plumbing company and I am running several projects my self and solve the problems on other projects if they come to a stage that nobody knows it anny more (technical but also managementwise))

so i first have to build something that i can shows a small% of the the posibilitys to make the next step

i do combine it with my hobby (work and hobby together is a good combination if you have the position) so personaly i am willing to put some money in it but as i said I don't have a RD budget

eric i am intressted to have a try with the software you use

I will first set up some hardware

the idea with the PIC is verry apealing but more dificult to execute here as there is no PICs availible here

those mcp3204 looks quite do ible still have to investigate if they are availible here

otherwise i have to shedule a trip to bangkok (I will buy the PICs also then and a programer (and presents for my wife to compensate the late nightes that i will be studying the programing:D))

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
I will first set up some hardware

the idea with the PIC is verry apealing but more dificult to execute here as there is no PICs availible here
those mcp3204 looks quite do ible still have to investigate if they are availible here

hi RJ,
Lets know which 'bits' you get for the project.
I will help with the PIC and PC programming if required.:)

EDIT:
IF you need 8 analog channels, look for this device:

https://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...search_001&Ntt=MCP3208&Ntx=&_requestid=236005

Last edited:
I did had a look on sourceforge.net and still explore a bit on it it's seems a good site for this kind of stuff
till now I ve seen only comercialy (pricy solutions there) that can't be justified yet for my aplications

Sourceforge has free software with source code. You must have been looking at the ads. Use the search tool on the site.

Hi, ericgibbs

Recently started working with the mcp3204, I use a potentiometer as analog input in the CH0 of the MCP3204 and send it by the serial port (RS232) to the PC. I need to graph the data recorded by the mcp3204 with respect to time, is very similar to software that you did in Visual Basic. Thank you if you can post a copy of this software or if I can send a copy to my email. In truth I am very excited to work with the mcp3204 (if that is fast!) If you can help me really am very grateful.

Att: Juanpic1990

Hi, ericgibbs

Recently started working with the mcp3204, I use a potentiometer as analog input in the CH0 of the MCP3204 and send it by the serial port (RS232) to the PC. I need to graph the data recorded by the mcp3204 with respect to time, is very similar to software that you did in Visual Basic. Thank you if you can post a copy of this software or if I can send a copy to my email. In truth I am very excited to work with the mcp3204 (if that is fast!) If you can help me really am very grateful.

hi,
I have just revised the MCP3204 parallel program using VB5.
You are welcome to a copy of the working 'beta' version, you will need to change the program to work with a RS232 input.

PM your email address.:)

Thanks for answering my message, really thank you for your help and attention. My mail is juanpic1990@ymail.com, there can send a copy of the software, if you can also provide a copy of the source code of the software you thanked, so I would facilitate the conversion rs232.

Hi, ericgibbs

hi,
The email with the zip has been sent to you.

For anyone else interested I have attached the complete package zip to this post.

Its the beta version, it does work, but not fully commented.

Attachments

• DVM4zip1.zip
    96.7 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back