Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorderico

I am trying to build my own circuit that sends many different forms of data wirelessly. However, some data types like video are too huge to be handled by a 256kb/s tranciever. Is there a processor out there and/or a circuit that would enable me to encode, send, receive, and decode data from say, a VGA port on a computer. Or, is there a better solution than compressing the data?
Thanks,
Eric

VGA represents a very high bandwidth. It is something like 100 MHz on each of 3 colours. It is a really difficult problem to capture and encode that sort of frequency, let alone real time compression and transmission. You would never get the compression to get it to 250 kb/s at any worthwhile resolution.

It is far easier to have PC wired to the VGA monitor, and then run something like PcAnywhere to join the PC that is running the monitor with the one that is running the programmes.

You are then sending far less information, and you can link the PCs over a wireless network. You can link over the serial ports, I think, so you could convert the serial signal to wireless and put that down a 250 kb/s wireless link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back