Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Darlington pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan9890

Hi.. I'm basically trying to drive a simple motor using a transistor.. bc547..
The problem i'm facing is, output current is too low.. i need atleast 1 ampere.. can any1 suggest any ideas?
I know about the darlington pair, n how to increase the current gain.. It seems i'm making a mistake while building the circuit in multisim.. PLz give any suggesions that might help..

Also.. keep note that i exclusively want to use bc547 coz its cheap..:D
thanks in advance

Although a Darlington pair will increase current gain it is not going to reduce the collector current requirements on the transistor. The bc547 is rated for 100mA max continuous collector current.

Last edited:
I think you could parallel 10 (preferably more) BC547s to get the 1A current, as long as the current is equally divided between them. Of course then you're spending over $3 for the BC547s (plus a bit for the extra base resistors), when you could do the job with a single TIP31 for $0.66. (Just using today's prices on Digikey.ca for the example).

Torben

thnx guys.. i'l give i a try tomorrow..:)
But even with the base resistors delay will b present.. n also the circuit will become huge n complicated to solder, considering 10 bjts..
So jus one more question..

Can i use another transistor? I need both npn and pnp.. Plz suggest some names.. n relatively cheap ones.. This is just a homemede project i'm trying so cant spend much..:D
Thanks again..:)

You not only can use a different transistor, you should. A TIP31 was suggested, which is an excellent idea. It's available everywhere in the USA for US$0.55 or so. European equivalent is probably BD241 and elsewhere 2SD880.

You can help us in the future by putting your location in your userCP (top of this page) so we know where you're shopping.

I get many of my stuff like this from All Electronics or **broken link removed** unless I need it immediately in which case it's Torrance Electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back