Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dark sensor using a kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little 4 cup (barely 2 real cups) claims 800 watts. Figure a 1200 watt inverter should work, but figure on finding a 12 volt coffee maker sometime. I've got a 12 watt solar panel hooked up right now. Want to see how it holds up to the weather here, before investing in a larger system.

What about getting a travel kettle and using instant?

A 500W kettle could boil 500ml (just under a pint) in 6 miniutes, in fact it's a bit less than that but I accounted for the heat losses.

It's not fast but it's good enough to make two cups.

The current rating would be 41.67A so use thick cable, 10mm² 7AWG and make it as short as possible.

This would take 41.67*6 = 250 Amp/miniutes = 250/60 = 4.167Ah.

It looks like your 10Ah battery will be fine and it shouldn't make much difference as long as the amount of water is the same - a higher powered element won't need to be on for as long.

What about getting a travel kettle and using instant?

Instant? You can't be serious... I roast my own beans. Last time the power was out, I boiled some water over a propane cooker on the back porch.

Anyway, getting off the topic, and already hijack Hank's Dell thread this week.

There are a lot of other charge controllers available, and a few build your owns. The link I gave was one I bought and use. It small, inexpensive, and switches on the load at night. Just right for what I want to do. Most of what you will find are intended for powering more serious loads, and at a much higher price. That 5 watt model should be plenty, and could handle a lot more than 36 green LEDs if you want, or add some different lights later.

You can add batteries in parallel for more capacity. Not 100% sure about if its okay to mix capacities. Mine is 2 x 5 Ah SLA (had them sitting around). I've got a 12 Ah recently, and seems to hold a charge well, but haven't hooked in up yet. Have to see how much my 12 watt panel can handle charging in a day.

I don't remember your location, but you probably don't need a 12 watt panel, maybe 5-6 watts for here in Florida. I paid $114 shipped, for mine. It seemed like the best deal for what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back