Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Damn PM messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramo

Just wanted to share this one,

Look at this for a PM message:

logan_sq said:
paint mixer
im study in college so i do
paint mixer project..

using liquid of primary color blue,yellow and red to get other colors by mixing..
the components that i planned to use is control valves(salenoid),weighing circuits (strain gage + wheatstone bridge),dc motor,control relay and using a visual basic program!!

so i need the circuit diagram + program

i will be thank you for ever

What a loser. I can’t wait to get into uni and clean up in electrical engineering. Makes me wonder how some people can even make it through the first year with PM's like that

Last edited:
Terrible PM. Though it sounds like an interesting project. I wonder if it will ever get finnished, or even started.

I respond to most of my PMs asking questions with:

Please ask on the open forum, so you can have the benefit of others who might be more knowledgeable than me. Also others might benefit from the advice I might offer you.

If they cary on I shout a little louder, then if they still bug me I swear at them; they normally stop after that, but that's only happened once - swearing at people is my last resort.

Another thing that annoys me is when people ask questions relating to a thread, to which I always respond with:

I have no idea of what you are talking about, are you refering to a certain thread or post?

The chances are I have read 100s of threads and made 100s of posts since then so I can't remember.

Please post in the relevent thread so I'm able to understand what you're talking about.

Does everyone get these kind of PMs? I have never got one, so it tells me that they must atleast spend a few minutes looking for somone who is knowledgable. To bad they can't just spend a few minutes and read the rules.

Sorry to be laughing... I got banned for 24 hours once to get my attention, because I had elected not to receive PMs, because I didn't want to deal with these messages. Not really much into Email to begin with.

Since having enabled PMs (January, I think...), gotten 14. All but 3 should have been posted public, not to mention, I have no idea why I was selected, perhaps bulk mailing...

I know the new member rules have changed some over the past year. There was a certain number of replies required, before a new member could start a new thread (spam control). Guess PMs are a work around.

The problem with fighting spam is as soon as a new method is instantiated to prevent it the spammers work their way around it. Even if there was a 5 day waiting time for new members to post while they had an interview with a forum moderator spammers would still get through and moderators would waste their time doing interviews. You'd have to have a moderator on staff 24/7 filtering every post and PM that goes through the forums to prevent spammers completly. Not exactly cost effective.

Andy1845c said:
Does everyone get these kind of PMs?

Only if you act like you know what you're doing. B>)

I had one recently who would post a question on the forum, then PM me with a carbon copy. Figure that one. By the way, he was PMing so many, and asking so many questions, his project exceeded all understanding.

It's too nice a day here in East Tennessee to be cooped up indoors. I'm goin' fishin'! Wanna come?

AllVol said:
... I'm goin' fishin'! Wanna come?
Oh yeah! wish we could cut 'em up like hawg bacon and use 'em fer bait.

I get these every now and then. Sometimes it's out of nowhere but usually it's after flaming the guy in the public forums and he PMs me admitting he knows nothing and then proceeds to beg for a complete schematic and description. I actually got one where the guy was asking me to design a helicopter for him. The last PM I got though was a thank you from a guy for helping him out with his public posts which was kind of nice.

I would like to say it would be a good idea preventing newly registered users from pming but what if they're asking questions regarding posting? Someone once PMd me asking why they can't post so I forwarded it to Nigel, after a couple of mesages it turned out he hadn't confirmed his account. Either way perhaps new users should only be allowed to PM administrators or moderators.

I've had thank you messages before too which I agree is a good think - it makes me feel warm inside to know I've been helpful.

I get a few PM's a day from noobies. Most speak horrible English and they don't mention the topic. Of course they want me to design an entire circuit for them NOW!

They come from only one country that has billions if them.

Hero999 said:
I would like to say it would be a good idea preventing newly registered users from pming but what if they're asking questions regarding posting? Someone once PMd me asking why they can't post so I forwarded it to Nigel, after a couple of mesages it turned out he hadn't confirmed his account. Either way perhaps new users should only be allowed to PM administrators or moderators.

Yes, I get them as well - and emails!. I had one email from a guy (like the one you mention above) who couldn't post on the forums, I checked and he hadn't responded to the activation email. So I replied to him explaining this, and my email bounced back - apparently he won't accept emails unless you register your address with him first!. No prices for guessing why he didn't reply to the activation email then!.

Probably applied with the wrong e-mail address, a lot of people have a 'public' and 'private' e-mail address nowdays to keep spam down so they only have e-mail alerts from the important one.

Hero999 said:

this is one i got the other day
Code:
 Proximity Car parking sensor 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello 
We are a group of 3, we want to design a proximity parking sensor to detect obstacle 
or object of about 2-3m with different sounds of warning by piezzo attached to rear
 and front bamper of a vehicle. that should maybe use comparators with atleast 
6 ultra sonic sensors i.e. 3 rear and 3 front. we find it difficult to interface the 
comparator and sensors-

please help us guys find a way maybe with the aid of diagram or circuit that will enable 
us to see the possibility of this design.

Thank you for time and consideration

Kind regards
with so many of our brave , getting cut down lately
i thought not to respond
this person had no posts or replys
sorry man if you read your post here , but safe than sorry comes to mind

audioguru said:
I get a few PM's a day from noobies. Most speak horrible English and they don't mention the topic. Of course they want me to design an entire circuit for them NOW!

They come from only one country that has billions if them.

I'm a noobie who PMed you my first day on the forum :p, I think it has to do

with your 7,000+ posts... plus it was an audio question and as such I was in

need of a GURU!

I ask alot of questions but I try to do it as polite as possible :)

Peter W

gramo said:
I can’t wait to get into uni and clean up in electrical engineering. Makes me wonder how some people can even make it through the first year with PM's like that

The most formidable opponents are the ones you cannot see and are not aware of (ie. the brilliant students that you don't see asking for homework online).

Hello Peter,
I think I told you to replace the entire phone with one that works properly.
You would have had many more suggstions if you posted your questions in the forum.

They don't get though at decent colleges, they do pass at crap colleges like Bedford college.

Hero999 said:
They don't get though at decent colleges, they do pass at crap colleges like Bedford college.

I think you can easily spot the quality places by their entry requirements, Oxbridge require three A grade A levels, in sensible subjects, and may require you to take an entrance exam in English and Maths. The lower places would prefer it if you were breathing, but it's not an absolute requirement! :p

A friend's son's girlfriend (if that makes sense?) is a twin, and one applied for Cambridge, and the other for Oxford - both were provisionally accepted, pended their A level results. One twin took three A levels, went out and had fun, got her A grades and went to Cambridge. The other (said girlfriend) tried to take far more subjects (why?), never went out, worked every waking moment, and still ended up dropping most of them as she wasn't doing well enough. In the end she didn't get the three A grades, and was rejected by Oxford - ending up at St Andrews (where the Royal Family go), who have a lower entry requirement. Apparently she hates the place (because it's not Oxford!), and is going to summer school at Oxford this summer - £15,000 for eight weeks!!!!!.

gramo said:
Just wanted to share this one,

Look at this for a PM message:-

"Originally Posted by logan_sq
paint mixer
im study in college so i do
paint mixer project..

using liquid of primary color blue,yellow and red to get other colors by mixing..
the components that i planned to use is control valves(salenoid),weighing circuits (strain gage + wheatstone bridge),dc motor,control relay and using a visual basic program!!

so i need the circuit diagram + program

i will be thank you for ever"

What a loser. I can’t wait to get into uni and clean up in electrical engineering. Makes me wonder how some people can even make it through the first year with PM's like that

I received the same PM yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back