Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

damaged thread on screw hole in a heat sink, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonW

Dear All,

I seem to have a problem screwing a fan back on a computer CPU heatsink.
On closer inspection i noticed that I had damaged the threading :-<

According to the internet the nominal working temp of the cpu is 85 degrees

Has anyone got any ideas how to rectify this....

Super glue? (melting point?)

Cheers

Hi,

To be honest, I'd just try and find a 'self tapping' screw very slight bigger than the thread you have and use that.

I would be wary about using super glue as it is cyanoacrylate based, and when heated it can release 'unpleasant' fumes.
If you want to use something to 'stick' the screw in place, how about using some silicone? That is temerature stable up to about 200 degrees centigrade.

The self-tapping screw is a decent idea. An alternative is to determine the present screw size then see if you can take it up to the next size. That means you'll need to drill a hole that's appropriate for the size, obtain a tap, tap the hole, possibly enlarge the hole on the things that are fastened and obtain a proper screw, washer and so on.

If you can get to the other side of the heat sink you might enlarge the hole and use a machine screw with a nut on the other side.

You might be successful in using a tap for the screw you have and 'chasing' the existing threads.

fingaz said:
I would be wary about using super glue as it is cyanoacrylate based, and when heated it can release 'unpleasant' fumes.

If you have ever touched a puddle of that stuff with a soldering iron and got the smoke in your eye ( as I have ), it's seriously uncomfortable.

Perhaps Epoxy resin would be a better solution ?

Failing that, if it's only one screw, I ( personally ) wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you have sufficient screws holding the unit, i.e. 3 screws left, 1 missing .

This is why a basic exaust fan at a soldering station is a requirement. That stuff is horrendously bad for you, especially with lead based solders or toxic decomposition products like from CA glue.

Sceadwian said:
That stuff is horrendously bad for you, especially with lead based solders.

Actually not!, I was part of a study by the Heath and Safety Executive into the requirements of active ventilation in a service environment.

So I asked them about the dangers of the lead, to be told there has never been any concern over the lead in the solder, and the test wasn't concerned with that. The concern was for the flux used (which is why the flux has now changed to a far inferior product), and the actual problem was a possibility of the flux fumes causing an asthma attack in a very, VERY, minute percentage of the population.

The study didn't find a single example of the problem amongst service engineers, and the tests showed there was no need for ventilation except for in a production environment.

Bit of a shame really! - for taking part in the test we were going to given all the equipment required if it was needed :(

My opinion - be conservative and ventilate as best you can. I'd be less worried about the things that have been proven to be safe and worry about the unknowns. I'd expect that in a production environment that the materials, coatings ,etc would be well known. In a lab, on a service bench, etc - where just about anything might be repaired, there is less control and I'd propose, more unknowns.

hi Simon,
If its a problem, [ 3 screws should hold the fan] then you could put a clearance drill thru the 'stripped' hole,
then use a bolt/nut and anti-shake washer.

I would suggest, if you have not already done so, account for every bit of stripped thread metal.

your cpu heatsink shouldn't be getting hot enough to vaporize any sort of glue, be it super or otherwise

if the heatsink is getting much above 45-50C, it is undersized and needs to be replaced, and you need to examine the cooling strategy used on your pc.

my cpu, an overclocked athlon x2 is running at 32C right now, with the factory heatsink and fan.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Bit of a shame really! - for taking part in the test we were going to given all the equipment required if it was needed :(

So, as I understand it, you were gambling that they would subject you to something horribly bad for your health so that you could profit with some new bench-top gadgets? Now, that is dedication to the craft!

SimonW said:
Dear All,

I seem to have a problem screwing a fan back on a computer CPU heatsink.
On closer inspection i noticed that I had damaged the threading :-<

According to the internet the nominal working temp of the cpu is 85 degrees

Has anyone got any ideas how to rectify this....

Super glue? (melting point?)

Cheers

try to put a teflon insulating sleeve removed from a small wire-- inser partly in the heatsink-- now you try to screwit ip again in the support of the teflon sleeving-- it shold hold and you purpose could be served.

shall be awaiting for result please.

RadioRon said:
So, as I understand it, you were gambling that they would subject you to something horribly bad for your health so that you could profit with some new bench-top gadgets? Now, that is dedication to the craft!

I think it's called GREED! :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
I think it's called GREED! :D

Nice Joke Sir,

It is , i call purpose serving- Having lived and served rural areas for telecom , restoration used to be prime forus - let what we may do. One could order and replace the entire heat sink or for that matter entire mother board. the other aspects take time. the user is deprived of the equipment till we get aaathe item and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back