Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Damaged IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

I have an 74LS47 IC.

I connected each of the data pins.
I connected the 7 segment display's +5V and ground.
I then connected the 5V on the IC but hadn't done ground yet.

The 7 segment display lit up.

When I connect the ground and then put 5V into one of the data pins, nothing happens.

Have I screwed it?

Why wouldn't you connect ground first on both devices before applying power to any of them?

But I'm a bit confused here. Why did the LED have a ground connection? The IC uses open collector drivers and works by connecting and disconnecting the the LED to/from ground. THe only device that should have had a connection to ground was the IC. The LED should have only been connected between +V and the IC, not ground. The "ground" on the 7 segment display is supposed to connect to the drive pins of the IC.

Last edited:
A 74LS47 is designed to drive a common-anode LED 7-segment display. It will not drive a common-cathode LED display and it will not drive an LCD display.
A common-anode LED display has one pin for +5V and does not have a ground pin. If you connected an LED segment on it to +5V and to ground then the LED got burned out.

The 74LS47 will light all segments of a common-anode LED display when it has all data inputs high or floating.

A 74LS47 is designed to drive a common-anode LED 7-segment display.

Damn it. Checked the code on the led and Maplin gave me one with the code DC-xxxx and one with the code DA-xxxx. I used the common cathode led, hence the problem. Swapped it with the common diode and it worked fine.

Will check the parts before I leave next time, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back