Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAC With built-in up/down counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidtech

Hi All,

It's my first post here, so please be kind :)

I have been out of the electronics design area for around 10 years and now I'm just getting back in for a small project.

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a DAC device with a built-in up/down counter. This is for a project to effectively generate ramp type waveforms from 0-12V. Ramp up to 12V and hold for a period of time then ramp down. Similar to a fade-in fade-out.

I can do this with a DAC8080 with an 8 bit up/down counter, this is no problem, I'm looking for a device that does this in one package. I'd assume it would only be an 8 pin package (maybe 14 pin)

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Robbie...

A DAC converts a digital signal to a analog signal, a counter updates based on logic pulses, your digital input to the DAC would determine the waveform generated.

You will not likely find a DAC with a build-in counter. You will need to use an external one.

0 to 12V from a DAC. Probably not.
0 to 5V + amplifier. Yes

8 bit? 10 bit? 6 bit?
How fast?

How about three 8pin ICs?

Option A.
1.) 6 pin IC: amplifier with 0 to 12V out.
2.) 6 pin Micro controller with software PWM.
Option B.
1.) 6 pin IC: amplifier with 0 to 12V out.
2.) 8 pin DAC.
3.) 6-8 pin Micro controller.

I know you don't want to program a micro but I just don't see other choices.
Could easy fit with in 1cm x 1cm.

Hi,

Depending on how much accuracy you need and bits of resolution, you might find a digital potentiometer with up/down count inputs. You might be able to use that as a variable voltage divider. You'd have to look for the parts as it's been a while since i looked them up myself and dont have the part numbers anymore.

digital potentiometer with up/down count inputs. You might be able to use that as a variable voltage divider.

There are a number of "digital pots" that have UP and DOWN inputs.
Data sheet attached.

Digital pots have high output impedance and need a buffer.

The PIC12F1501 is a 8 pin micro with a 5 bit DAC that is of the type of a digital pot. Needs a buffer/amplifier. It is a counter and DAC in a 8 pin package.

The PIC12F1822 and PIC16F1823 have 8 or 10 bit PWM DACs and a 5 bit DAC. Everything but the amplifier in 8 pins.

hi,
These older A2D2A IC's have a 8 bit internal counter.

Attachments

• ZN425E.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 157
Eric, Good find. I have not thought about these parts for years. They make a good ramp wave, sawtooth. Won't count down. Can anyone find a part.

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say thank you everyone for all your efforts. These are all great suggestions and I know your time is limited and valuable and I really appreciate it.

I do like the idea of using a digital pot, so I might look into that option and see where that takes me.

In the meantime, if anyone has any further input, again it will be greatly appreciated.

Robbie...

Hi All,

Once again thanks for all your responses.

Just thought I'd drop a note to say I've decided on the device. The AD5220. It's exactly what I was hoping for. I've ordered a few (AU$2.50 each, cheap enough) and will be playing this weekend.

Robbie...

Hi,

Did you get the 10k type?

Hi Again,

Hope everyone is well...

I have the AD5220 and it works well, just like I need it to. I'd like to use a N Channel Enhanced MOSFET to switch the load (LED Strips connected to the Drain), but I have only tinkered with Logic Level MOSFETs, which aren't good for ramping up and down in a linear way.

Can anyone suggest a suitable device? Also, as I understand it, in order to switch these MOSFETs on hard, the Gate voltage needs to go higher than the Drain voltage, is this correct? If so, what do I use to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.
Robbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back