Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAB radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

is there anything I should be looking for in a DAB radio ? are they better at reception than analogic (I fear not) my experience of "modern" radios is that the tunning circuit is crap does that apply to DAB radios too ?

I have given some thought to purchasing a digital broadcast radio as well. I've done little research beyond that. Only reason for digital - AM broadcast stations offer poor or noisy reception in small or large office settings. FM broadcast is ok but the program material on AM is what I prefer at times.

I'd be concerned that whatever I purchase is the standard - that will not become obsolete quickly. I would expect the same of my next television and expect that some aspects of television standards have still not been settled. It might only take a bit of research for me to alleviate my worries. One of these days I'll do that research.

I could take a trip to a large electronics retailer and learn a lot - especially if I find a part time EE student who can help me bridge the gap between the real technology and the consumer terms.

Thunderchild said:
is there anything I should be looking for in a DAB radio ? are they better at reception than analogic (I fear not) my experience of "modern" radios is that the tunning circuit is crap does that apply to DAB radios too ?

DAB is rubbish, the quality is considerably LESS than FM radio (and some DAB channels are even only mono), and coverage is prety pathetic.

If you want decent quality radio, then get a digital satellite receiver and dish, this gives the highest quality radio you can get! - even better than FM.

Thunderchild said:
is there anything I should be looking for in a DAB radio ? are they better at reception than analogic

The first thing to do is check reception in your area:
http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

Even if it says you can get reception, it may be affected by local geography and buildings etc.
(I think this is why it not yet fitted as standard in all new cars)

We have a good quality "Bug" model made by Pure which is good enough for use in the kitchen - but as Nigel says, the bitrate of some stations has been reduced to ridiculously low levels in order to save on broadcast bandwidth and costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back