Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAB Digital Radio Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Hi Guys

Remember I'm a novice ... .. ..

I bought myself a faulty DAB radio on Ebay for 99p to see if I could find the problem and repair it .. .. I must be learning something from you people because I went straight to a blown chip on the power board. I took the power board out and ran 5vdc through the set from my bench PSU and the radio leapt into life. Simples !!

Now, my question .. .. The hole in the blown chip ( see pic ) is just where the ID would be and looking at the solder side, judging from the amount of flux and solder on the pins, it has been replaced before, so maybe there is something else going on causing the chip failure ? I'm planning to replace the whole board with this .. .. ..

**broken link removed**

My bench PSU measured load with all leds on and max volume at just a tad over 200Ma and the output on the old board is marked 5vdc .. .. .. ..

Will this do the job OK ??

Thanks

S

Attachments

• Radio Power Module 1.JPG
    Radio Power Module 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 295
That looks fine, go for it.

The blown chip is on the primary of the old supply, so it's probably a design flaw in the PSU rather than any problems in the radio.

I should think so.... The cheaper the goods, the worse the tollerance... Therefore the radio will be pulling too much current from the PS.... I'd just use one of my old phone chargers 5v 400mA or so... I have a mans draw full of them!!

LOL

It's funny you should say that !!!
I was just looking to see what I've got ..

S

I've just found a Sony Ericsson 5vdc @ 1amp .. .. that'll do nicely ! ?

Thanks guys

S

One day there will be a tool able to identify parts from the soot they've left on the board...

One day there will be a tool able to identify parts from the soot they've left on the board...

An ideal project for the useless students who wash up here from time to time wanting an urgent project for their college course.:)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back