Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

D Cell Battery Discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisorion

Can one receive a 20 amp discharge when shorting out a name brand 1.5 volt D cell alkaline battery?

I understand this would rapidly discharge the battery and lower the voltage.
I understand there are 1.2 volt rechargeable batteries that can do this easily.
I understand that this might make the battery very hot.
My question is:

Can one receive a 20 amp discharge when shorting out a name brand 1.5 volt D cell alkaline battery?

Energizer battery manufacturer has a website with a datasheet for every battery they have.

The alkaline tiny AAAA cell and the alkaline huge D cell both have an internal resistance of from 150 to 300 milli-ohms.
1.5V with a 300 milli-ohms resistance is a current of 5A into a short circuit and is a current of 2.5A into a load of 300 milli-ohms when the battery cell is brand new.

Energizer Ni-MH rechargeable cells (their C and D cells have a little AA cell inside) have an internal resistance of only 30milli-ohms so their max current is almost 40A for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back