Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cytron USB ICSP PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

Cytron USB ICSP PIC Programmer
ICSP - In Circuit Serial Programmer

I was thinking of purchasing this pic programmer.

**broken link removed**

It is less money than others I have seen and has a usb connection.

Please comment.

Last edited:
Hi,

For the price it seems a bargain, would suggest spending another $8 to buy with matching ZIF board - again very good value.

The only down side to other clones is the lack of a case and that the pickit2 software may not recieve many more device updates as the pk3 is now the current model - but unless you are expecting to use the new top end ds / pic32 chips that should not be a problem

In spite of its extra cost, the pickit3 may be a better choice for me, but being new to this I still have a lot of unknowns.

For one thing, am I restricted to using their software which seems to have a code size limit and is much too costly for me?

For one thing, am I restricted to using their software which seems to have a code size limit and is much too costly for me?
I've never heard of code limitation before except if what you're talking about is the memory of the PIC, but I've been using the Cytron programmer and it is certainly okay for a good length of code.

Hi,

Never heard of any code limitation on the Pickit2, possibly that some trial compliers do have limits but thats nothing to do with the programmer.

Compared to the Pickit2 , the Pickit3 is still under developed and over priced from the hobbyists perspective, the Cytron unit is a fraction of the cost of the pickit3.

Think buying a Cytron now will get you going and if your interest develops then in the future the Pk3 might be a worthwhile addition - most diyers end up with 2 programmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back