Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CyberPower UPS repair 450VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tester272001

This UPS died unexpectedly. Replaced the battery and no charging at all. hmm I found that strange, these units usually last longer than a couple years....Once I cracked open the unit I searched and searched for a bad component and found NONE! I went back to basics and traced the power from the input as far as I could. Turns out this unit has a FUSE hidden under the transformer. I am attaching a pic that shows where. I ran a new fuse with a couple short leads so I would not need to unsolder that transformer again! Thought I'd share my experience and save others the trouble for this kind of repair. I also cam across the service manual for this series of UPS. I am attaching that as well.

Attachments

• cyber_450va_nochg.jpg
    cyber_450va_nochg.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 2,904
  • cyber_power_400e_600e_800e.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 3,645
Possibly a thermal fuse. So that when the transformer runs hot the fuse blows?
Otherwise, not a very maintenance friendly piece of kit.

JimB

tester:

It's really nice to know that service manuals might be available for CyberPower.

The two UPS's that I have were both fixed with new batteries. I hate it, that the ones I have (APC, Trip-Lite) don't work at all without a battery that works. APC's website just plain annoys me. Nearly as bad a Verizon's.

I started to "renovate" a cheap Chinese UPS that had run at a clients for a couple of years. Every screw (10 of them) that held the cover on bar one disintegrated and appeared to be made of cheese. They were all cross threaded as well. Actual PCB was reasonably well made but the batteries (4 of them) had all leaked and were swollen so it all got binned.

Thanks tester272001

Always good to share knowledge and experiences :)

Regards,
tvtech

Possibly a thermal fuse. So that when the transformer runs hot the fuse blows?
Otherwise, not a very maintenance friendly piece of kit.

JimB

True Jim

I have only ever seen Thermal Fuses blow however when they are built into the Windings...and then the Transformer is definitely shot.

This Fuse was placed under the Transformer to make repair difficult.......sneaky designers.

Probably find it is a normal protection fuse that got tired and....fused.

Regards,
tvtech

This was a standard BUSS style fuse, a little smaller then normal but typical. The unit was subject to a AC MAINS lightning strike. So is entirely possible it blew due to a transient. The strike took out all kinds of network and phone equipment :arghh: The UPS I replaced with a new unit and then when I had time, I came back to it (mostly out of curiosity). I subsequently redeployed it and has been in use for like 6 months now.

Hi tester, I know I'm late to the party, but I've got a question- do you know of any other sources for Cyberpower service manuals? I've got a unit that I just can't crack the case on- literally! From day one, it's had an F04 fault, and it's probably (hopefully) similar to your issue- but I can't get the damn case open! Close, but the bottom seam just won't open, and I'd really rather not break it apart.

Thanks in advance if you can help- and thanks anyway if you can't!

Max

Hay Max. What unit did you need ? and did you find already ? I have not been back to this post for a while. BTW - I looked through my collection and I only had this one and the one for Service_Manual_-_PR1500E-2200E-3000E_V00_050829 units

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back