Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'cyber war'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
WikiLeaks backlash: The first global cyber war has begun, claim hackers | Media | The Observer

Do these people understand that this activity with modern data analysis methods actually exposes them as individuals to local/federal/global criminal law? They're painting targets on the dead center of their foreheads. Anonymity on the web is a myth, sure you can post a few things here or there and obfuscate short communications, but when you 'bible thump' like this you're done, it's like tossing a great big brilliant blinking neon exclamation point over your head.

Haha! Nope, I only know about the stuff because this site gets attacked a lot and it's challenging to keep them at bay.

Looks like the main targets are: Paypal, amazon, facebook, and a few more.. So be careful visiting those sites!

I'm not on Facebook, I just removed my Credit Card information from Amazon & Paypal. If I do the Auto pay for my support here; I guess it will keep my renewal from processing. Unless I do a one time pay right?

The question in my mind is this. Is one worse off having credit card info stored by others, or is it worse to send it out every time you purchase from them.

You can give them bad numbers or dates then call them to fix it. But that opens another can of worms.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proper method would be to use DOS attacks from your own botnet (running on other's compromised Windows boxen). You command-n-control it via an onion routing method, or random tweets from other botnetted systems, etc.

Certainly, downloading a piece of software that others can use to DOS a site on your machine's behalf is very, very stupid (so is just installing a program that pings or otherwise polls a site with no other purpose); its real easy to call attention to yourself. Its also fairly easy to hide among the noise (or simply skip around machines all over the net via TOR)...

3v0, what does that have to do with DOS botnet herders using their weight to cripple websites they don't like? The attacks are DOS (denial of service) not security breech attempts as ETO was saying. During the Holiday season in the US every second down is a lost sale to them, they're trying to prove a point by hitting them in the pocket book, even just a tiny little bit.

The consumer is a fickle beast, even if they had in mind purchasing an items from one of those websites or using one of those services if they're not able to contact those sites/services during the period when they're actually willing to buy they'll get frustrated leave and perhaps go to someone elses website or purchase at a brick and mortar store.

Minutes of time offline or lagged will boil down to some dollar amount, and it won't be low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back