Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cutting PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gayan Soyza

I need to know how do you all cut your copper boards on your PCB work?

I looked for the guillotine prices oh it is too expensive & cannot afford such a big money.

For the time being I'm using a handicraft cutter (plastic cutter), drawing two straight lines on either sides on the copper board & bend the board & it will break in that line.

This method is good only for 1 PCB but if I have 100???????????????

What you all using?

Attachments

• Cutter.jpg
    Cutter.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3,585
I wish I could help you on this one but I do not think so.

It depends on the thickness of the PCB and what you have on hand. A benchtop bansaw works but the edges are rather rough.

For a 100 PCBs maybe rough them out a bit oversize. Use carpet tape to attach a guide block/pattern to the PCB and smooth up on a router using a bit equiped witha guide bearning. Just thinking.

3v0

Hi,

I've used a hack saw in the past with some decent results. File up the
edges when done and it comes out pretty clean. Not that easy to do
but it works.

I've got 2 bandsaws and 1 hand guillotine as well as a dozen PCB router bits and a Dremel.

One bandsaw has a thin blade and it wanders quite a bit. The other one has a thicker wider blade and makes quite a nice job of smaller PCBs.

The Guillotine is very fast and makes a lovely straight cut. The only downside is that as its older than me, the blade is a little blunt and it tends to twist the PCB slightly so you can't use it when there are traces right at the edge of the board.

The Dremel is good fun but trying to route by hand with the PCB router bits is a bit like trying to take a whizz in a straight line after 10 pints of beer. I'll probably use this a lot more when my CNC machine is finished.

Costs .....

Bandsaw with narrow blade - free from last place of work as a present for some work I did for them after I left
Bandsaw with thicker blade - free from Freecycle - the blade kept coming off so the owner gave it away. An hours worth of cleaning/aligning and its spot on again.
Guillotine - free from Freecycle. The owners parent were scared the grandkids were going to chop their fingers off so gave it away.
Dremel - not sure as I got if for a Birthday present from the wife ;)

Oh and the easiest thing I've got that cuts PCB is my £30 tilecutter. Makes a lot of dust but I'd say is the best cheapest all rounder.

Hi guys thanks for your replies.

Code:
Oh and the easiest thing I've got that cuts PCB is my £30 tilecutter. Makes a lot of dust but I'd say is the best cheapest all rounder.

That method is a good idea, Hope that you are telling a basic manual tile cutter (not an electric one) :)

Here we have plenty tile cutters for cheap prices.Normally my favorite thickness is 1.2mm board.

If the tile cutter works fine then I'll use that method for sure.Must try from it.

Last edited:
Actually - I say the blade lasts for 100+ PCBs, I've probably cut over 100 tiles with this so far, my parents have borrowed it and cut around 100 tiles and I've cut around 50 small PCBs with it and the blade is still going strong .......

Hi guys thanks for your replies.

Code:

That method is a good idea, Hope that you are telling a basic manual tile cutter (not an electric one) :)

Here we have plenty tile cutters for cheap prices.Normally my favorite thickness is 1.2mm board.

If the tile cutter works fine then I'll use that method for sure.Must try from it.

Just A note. If you are cutting 100 pcs or more and you want to use a tile cutter please remember to use a respirator (not a dust mask) when you cut them. 99% of all copper clad boards have a phenolic base. The Phenolic dust will get in your eyes and lungs and can be absorbed threw your skin if you have a lot of it. The dust is so fine it will float in the air for hours before settling I worked in a shop cutting that stuff and now I have emphysema and I don't smoke. I cut boards with a bench shear I bought from Harbor Freight.com and it leaves straight clean cuts and you can set stops for a production run. the shear can handle most metals up to 3/32 inch thick or 2.3mm or softer material up to 1/8 or 3mm. The cost is real reasonable too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back