Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

I am building a custom liquid cooling system for my pc. My radiators are mounted inside a freezer (that’s -10 degrees Celsius). I am concerned about the vinyl tubing that turned rock solid under this temperature. Is it acceptable for the tubing to be in such a cold environment?

Thanks,

Here are some pictures (I apologies for the low quality):
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Try silicone tubing. I wouldn't trust PVC/Tygon not to leak. I have use it at 4°C with no problem, but -10° might be pushing it. John

I've never seen one of these before ? what's the coolant antifreeze ?

I would suggest using a non-conductive coolant, so even if it does leak, it won't totally ruin your PC.

I never understood all the fuss with overclocking, just wait 6 months and a faster CPU will arrive on the scene.

What do you do with a 4GHz PC?

No kidding, On the cover of Scientific American a New Flat Carbon further breaking Moore's law ? I haven't Read it yet but I am enthusiastic :D

Thank you for your suggestions!

I will be purchasing some automotive tubing to be used inside my pc. I will leave the vinyl tubing inside the freezer purely for experimental purposes (if it won't leak great, if it will than I can always replace it with some automotive grade tubing). Does anyone know exact temperature tolerances for vinyl tubing?

Thanks

killivolt said:
I've never seen one of these before ? what's the coolant antifreeze ?

Well yes the coolant is distilled water + antifreeze + "water wetter" additive that helps reduce electrolysis and corrosion.

blueroomelectronics said:
I never understood all the fuss with overclocking, just wait 6 months and a faster CPU will arrive on the scene.

What do you do with a 4GHz PC?

Well I am not building this so much for over clocking. The purpose of this project is to kill fan noise, prolong the lifetime of my hardware, and stop the computer from heating up my room (If I leave it running for a few hours, the room temps increase by 4-6 Celsius).

Frosty_47 said:
Well I am not building this so much for over clocking. The purpose of this project is to kill fan noise, prolong the lifetime of my hardware, and stop the computer from heating up my room (If I leave it running for a few hours, the room temps increase by 4-6 Celsius).

One of the thing's with advanced cooling, is that all that heat (although not that high anymore) is still being exhausted into the room :)

I like the design you still have room in the "freezer" very efficient as long as your single and don't eat a lot of frozen foods.
It's a great Idea............. kv

Frosty_47 said:
To paraphrase Krumlink-
Are you sending the heat removed by the freezer out of the room? If not, you are just increasing the room's heat load even more.

True, didn't read the statement. I was to impressed by the design. If it's a fan driven condenser under the refrigerator you could baffle it redirect the air outside thru a window via 4" dia tubing. You would also have to put a fan assist depending on the distance something like a bathroom fan.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of fan noise, I also don't overclock my PC. The HD is the loudest thing in the box and a single quiet fan keeps the air moving.
**broken link removed**

Roff said:
To paraphrase Krumlink-
Are you sending the heat removed by the freezer out of the room? If not, you are just increasing the room's heat load even more.

I forgot to mention that I am using my second fridge that is downstairs in my laundry. I will be running the cold water upstairs via 1/2" PVC pipes (basically drill wholes right through the ceiling :).

Last edited:
killivolt said:
I like the design you still have room in the "freezer" very efficient as long as your single and don't eat a lot of frozen foods.
It's a great Idea............. kv

Thanks it's always good to hear positive feedback. There is enough space left to fit 2 medium sized turkey :D

Frosty_47 said:
Thanks it's always good to hear positive feedback. There is enough space left to fit 2 medium sized turkey :D
So are you ignoring the discussion about the freezer "exhaust", or did you miss it? Inquiring minds want to know!:D

Roff said:
So are you ignoring the discussion about the freezer "exhaust", or did you miss it? Inquiring minds want to know!:D

plz read my previous posts

Hey guys I think I found a cure for cancer while I was attempting to clean my humidifier.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I don't think that even e-coli or cancerous cells would survive in that sh*7.

By the way, this looks like a good heat conductor what do u think if I add some of this "alien lifeform" to my coolant ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back