Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

samovar

I'm thinking about selling one of my project. For that, I would need to order custom enclosures. Nothing fancy, small box, may be 3x5, cutout for LCD with protective glass, few buttons, cutouts for some connectors. I would commit to making 50 or 100 of them, but I'm afraid the cost would be prohibitively expensive at this quantity.

I'm looking for advice where I could order such custom enclosures, or how can I build them, and how to do that without breaking the bank. I'm in Canada.

Instead of "custom", look at "customized". Look at www.polycase.com.

Tooling isn't too bad.

They use a router bit to make all of the holes and cutouts, so remember no square corners.

They can print, but when you look at some of their drawings with a label area, the printing has to be a little less than the edges. everyone usually wants a vecorized drawing. I had a label printed at a local sign shop - $30 each. I can do an 8.5 x 11 sheet cold laminated for $3.00 in materials. The punches are consumables, though.

I experimented with laser printinng my own labels with round holes with very good results.
I found some nice stock which can be laser printed and some clear that can be cold laminated.
There is a flat paperpath that I can use in my printer. I did the holes with medical biopsy punches. I need 9 holes of one size and 1 of another.

Cutom labes are an option, but tooling is higher.

Instead of "custom", look at "customized". Look at www.polycase.com.

Tooling isn't too bad.

They use a router bit to make all of the holes and cutouts, so remember no square corners.

They can print, but when you look at some of their drawings with a label area, the printing has to be a little less than the edges. everyone usually wants a vecorized drawing. I had a label printed at a local sign shop - $30 each. I can do an 8.5 x 11 sheet cold laminated for $3.00 in materials. The punches are consumables, though.

I experimented with laser printinng my own labels with round holes with very good results.
I found some nice stock which can be laser printed and some clear that can be cold laminated.
There is a flat paperpath that I can use in my printer. I did the holes with medical biopsy punches. I need 9 holes of one size and 1 of another.

Cutom labes are an option, but tooling is higher.

Thank you. This looks like a viable option.

Have you tried to install an LCD module into one of these boxes? How would you do that?

Digikey is removing Bezels from their catalog, but that is an option.

With a routed opening, it may mount easy. Flush from behind.

Digikey is removing Bezels from their catalog, but that is an option.

Looks like the company is out of business. I went to proud.com, and it's something else.

I can't believe noone sells ready-made boxes with provisions for dislay mount and few buttons. Does it mean that there's no demand for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back