Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom Eagle CAD components

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzero

Hi Everyone,

I'm just trying to create a custom library component in Eagle Cad. Basically, I've created the symbol, the package, and the device. Now, when I actually try to drop this onto a PCB in Eagle, I can't actually select and drag the component onto the board, unless I drag a "group" selection box over the component, and then drag the whole group.

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't I be able to drag that component as a whole?

Hi subzero,

to use an Eagle device don't copy the package or symbol into a board or schematic.

When the device is finished (including connecting pins to pads) close the library. Then create a schematic or a board using that library and the device you want to select.

Place the package (in case you want to create a board) on the screen. Place the symbol (in case you want to create a schematic).

From the schematic type "board;" and the screen will change to board with a "frame" (dimension layer) and the package left of it. Click and hold the package with the left mouse button and move it into the dimension layer to drop it there by releasing it (another click).

That's it.

Boncuk

Last edited:
It sounds like you've created the part too far away from the origin point. The origin is the little plus sign that is by all of the parts that specifies where you click to select them. Check where the little plus sign is. If it's too far away from the footprint you want to edit the package to make it closer. This is a fairly common issue with first time components.

You get a similar thing when you turn off the t-origin or b-origin layers. Those little plus signs disappear and you can't select parts anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back