Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

curve fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curve Fitting is a way of changing the voltage-divider action of a linear potentiometer to approximate a logarithmic pot for use as a volume control. You add a resistor to ground at the slider of the pot.

Adding a resistor to the slider of a linear pot only approximates a logarithmic response. I don't know how to make it approximate other curves.
I figure that if you need a log pot then buy one, instead of fiddling with a linear one.

walters said:
But how do i get a exponential curve pot ? and a square-law pattern curve pot ? who makes them please?

Least squares is a "best wrong solution" approximation. It minimizes the 2-norm solution. It's best to understand what you're trying to do before doing it.

Least squares is commonly used in matrix algebra when a solution does not exist. A least squares solution is guaranteed to exist so in some cases it is advantageous to use it.

To be a bit more broad, curve fitting is the calculation of a line/parabola/higher degree equation that fits a set of data. Curve fitting can be useful for predicting possible outcomes. For example, I could have data for prices of a certain make of car from the past ten years. On a graph, I would have price on the Y-axis and year on the X-axis. The price for each year would be a point on the graph. Now, let's say I want to find out what the car will roughly cost ten years from now. I use curve fitting (I do it on my graphing calculator (TI-86)) and pick an appropriate curve depending on what the data looks like (this assumes you're famillar with the standard graphs for various equations.) Now, I can fit a line and a second degree equation (largest exponent on a variable is 2) and see which curve fits better (gets closer to more of the points.)

Curve fitting in a nutshell.

walters said:
But how do i get a exponential curve pot ? and a square-law pattern curve pot ? who makes them please?
I don't know why you would need one and I can't think of an application for one. Therefore they aren't available and you must order one to be custom-made for you or make it yourself.

Walters,
Do you want to play with numbers or do you want to replace the worn-out pot in your wah-wah pedal?

You could also copy or design a new wah-wah circuit that uses an ordinary linear or log pot.

What do you want to do?
:?:

Walters,
You get the replacement pot for an old wah-wah pedal from a guy who makes and sells copies of the pedal.

Look in Google for Wah-Wah Pedal. A link has the history and an article all about them.
One guy wanted to get rich by making and selling new wah-wah pedals that sound exactly like the old ones so he tried pots from 8 manufacturers with all the tapers they made. The pots were different so he ordered some custom-made pots that were identical to the original old pots.

The guy who makes copies of the old wah-wah pedals might not sell just a pot. He wants to get rich so he will probably try to sell his extremely expensive entire pedal.

Then if you are rich and want to make and sell wah-wah pedals to become richer, you could order a few thousand custom-made pots yourself. :lol:

Quote:
"The subject of potentiometers also warrants another look. Numerous differently tapered pots found their way into use in the THOMAS/VOX wahs. These included, but were not limited to: Allen Bradley Type J, Allen Bradley Type EJ, Centralab (two different, non-labeled tapers), Clarostat EJ, Clarostat J, Clarostat NP, Ohmite AB, Alpha, ERT, ICAR, and FRT.
The unofficial "right" pot was the ICAR. This unit did not have a standard type taper. Because of this, the effect achieved while using an ICAR pot was unlike that achieved using a more standard (U.S.) pot. The ICAR was pretty much in a class by itself.
Interestingly, Centralab offered a pot in Europe that almost duplicated the ICAR, but apparently, they did not sell it in the U.S.

Since the ICAR pots have been unavailable for years, I've had a number of 100% accurate pots manufactured for my use in my tunable RMC3 wah."

Thanks for the help

The wah is designed for a square root pattern curve pot

The ICAR is a special taper but reverse log

If u look at the wah design its frequency response is center frequency is doing it by square root so its design for a square root curve pot

Where can i get a square root curve pot?

I designed a slowly dimming and brightening LED circuit that has a square-law so that it matches the logarithmic brightness response of our vision. It could give a voltage output to be used directly, or control the resistance of a FET. Its input is linear.
Maybe an audio expander circuit could also be used.
Maybe a multiplier IC could be used.

walters said:
what are u talking about i don't get it?
I was talking about electronic circuits that can convert an ordinary linear pot to a square-law resistance change.

convert an ordinary linear pot to a square-law resistance change

How do u do this? what circuit would convert a linear pot to a square law resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back