Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you can, and devices that use them often have such a function.

Your question is still a bit vague, more details please.

I want use in my workbench, in line AC jack with a short circuit protection, but i dont want use one power resistor in series to take voltage control for detect the short, now i see that have this teroid current transformer, but i never see before this dude.

Yes, you can use a current transformer to make an isolated measurement of the current to your workbench.

The output of the current transformer needs to be terminated in a resistor to make a voltage. Rectify that voltage and feed it to a voltage comparator whose reference voltage represents your trip point. Use the comparator output to drive a relay that interrupts the bench AC power.

You will probably want to add a little delay because many devices have inrush current far greater than their operating current.

There are ratings or curves for 'breakers, however 10 mains cycles would be a good start, 200mS

Hi,

My suggestion would be for a progressive rating.
For example:
1 amp, 100ms
10 amps, 10ms

or if you have to use it with motors that have to start up (or something like that) you may want to make it faster for low currents and slower for higher currents.

i will not exclude MCB and RCD too, but they i put on main workbench line, the all AC line jack will be individual with digital on-off push button power.

An rcd is a good idea for a workbench.

Well, i take one and begin tests, i see that samples, logic that are AC sample, then i ask, to convert DC, cant use diode because so small voltage, so i should be use one OP Amp or i look for AD736. What guys suggest

Yes, you can use an op-amp configured as a precision rectifier to make DC from a small AC voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back