Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current transformer to voltage convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oreleon

Hello all, i'm working on a project and part of it involves obtaining a current measurement, using a current transformer, from an AC circuit and converting this measurement to a proportional DC voltage in the 0-5VDC range. I'm hoping that someone can help me or point me in the right direction. I've attached a schematic, hopefully this will give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance, John CT diagram.png

You need to rectify and smooth the voltage from the using a precision rectifier and a capacitor.

What current do you need to represent 5V?

Hello Hero999, the current transformer(CT) ratio is 20:1 so the highest current from the CT will be 5A which would correspond to 5V (The AC circuit current is 100A Max). I have a very, very limited knowledge of electronics. Thank you.

Last edited:
You need to connect a resistor to the secondary of the transformer to convert the current to a voltage. A 1R resistor will convert the 0 to 5A current signal to 0 to 5VAC.

The trouble is you need 5VDC which can be obtained by connecting it to a rectifier and a smoothing capacitor. The problem is, the peak voltage is √2 times the RMS voltage so by rectifying 5VAC, you get 7.07VDC, not 5VDC. One solution is to use a 0.707R resistor but it's not a standard value so you'll need to connect other resistors in series or parallel.

Is it possible to use a different current transformer/sensor?

Here's a current sensor with the circuitry to get a 0 to 5V signal built-in.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...ensor_Neilsen_Kuljian_Sentry_200_for_VFDs.pdf

When I do these circuits and I do plenty of them I use exactly what Hero linked to. Just pick you current range and you can have a 4 to 20 mA, 0 to 5 volt or 0 to 10 volt output. Just about anything you want. Using a CT just brings in too many more problems to deal with.

Ron

I know, I copied your idea. :D

I like easy. :)

Maybe it is just me but there seems to be a lot of this line of question lately.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back