Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current rating of capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walks91

This is probably an obvious question, but if I were to discharge 5 kV from a capacitor bank through a circuit with a resistance of 100 ohms, that capacitor would have to be able to withstand 500 Amps right?

If the discharge pulse was VERY fast (milliseconds) would this make a difference? (Numbers used are completely arbitrary)

I always see these super high voltage supplies, upwards of 30 kV but with a current rating in the mA range. I'm well aware of ohms law and how a high resistance is the reason for that, but what type of capacitors would be used to produce a very large current in a circuit?

WRONG, It would need to be a Very High Capacitance and a good quality capacitor to discharge 500 Amps.
Depending on the capacitance, it might only discharge a few milliamps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back