Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctesla75

Hi All,
I have been trying to mae a circuit which i could use to measure the current accross a shunt . I md a circuit using an lm3914, but i a not having any luck,the lm3914 is powered by the transformer of the unit i am testing(regulated and rectified),if my positive and negative come from the transformer , i take one pin to one side of the shunt,should i have an opamp going to both sides of shunt and then to the lm3914,anyb help would be appreciated ,as i am at a dead end.
ctesla75

You need to use an **broken link removed**with high common-mode rejection" to convert the differential voltage drop across the shunt to a ground-referenced voltage proportional to the current. Another way is to use a "high side current monitor" IC like the ZXCT1009.

Hello,

You can not measure the current across the shunt, you measure the voltage across the shunt. Also, that voltage is usually very very small like 50mv or even lower for a full 50 amps flowing through it so you need to amplify that voltage before you can measure it with a device like an LM3914 or similar.
What you do is use an op amp like Mike said and a few resistors and that gets you up to enough voltage to measure with the LM chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back