Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current going through my resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad353

hello all!!

i have three resistors that i have in parallel,

they are

what is the current that would be flowing throuh them?

i know you need to use kirchoffs or ohms law, but i jsut dont get it, can any one let me now what the current flowing thrtough them is?

thanks guys

adam

The current through the 120 Ohm resistor will be := 8333A
The current through the 270 Ohm resistor will be := 3704A
The current through the 560 Ohm resistor will be := 1786A

remember you didnt say what voltage the supply was at ;)

This sounds like homework. Parallel resistor are easy. They all have the same voltage across them and you know what the resistance is, thyus use ohms law to calculate the current flowing through each one

the voltage going in is 10v

i know i have to use sumin like this

Vs = V1 + V2 + V3

Therefore I would have to use

Vs = Vr1 + Vr2 + Vr3

is this on the right line?

adam

no!!!!

here is a clue, the voltage I used was 1million volts so frm that, you have the resistance and also the current I calculated.

Work through my calculations to find out what I did

This is a fundemental thing in electronics (Omhs law, Kirchoffs current and voltage law). If you cant get your head round those three and just get the answers you will struggle alot later

keep going...

Remeber Kirchoffs current law

"current entering a node must leave that node"

almost there

i getting there

The current through the 120 ohm resistor will be := 0.08333A

The current through the 270 ohm resistor will be := 0.03704A

The current through the 560 ohm resistor will be := 0.01786A

jsut trying to get my head around the next bit of kirchoffs law

adam

so the total current

using kirchoofs current law

is 0.8882a

so that would be how much currentis going through the three resistors in the curcuit?

adam

No

you just calculated how much current was going through each resistors. so what is the total current...

REmember kirchoffs current law. := the first current node is the voltage source to the 1st resistor. Current enters that node. Then current leaves that node and goes through the 3 resistors

Nigel Goodwin said:
The total current is just the sum of the three individual ones, simply add them together - ohms law is all you need to know for this question.

I was trying to get him to figure it out ;).
Well good use of my day off sick

YES!!!!!!!

but the real question is do you know why?

*cough* Energy conservation *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back