Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbsdad

Hi,

Could someone please help with the following:

A charge q(t)=50+t Coulombs (C) flows into an electric component. Find the current flow.

I'm not sure if I have all the relevant information.

Many thanks in advance.

Abbsdad,

Could someone please help with the following:

A charge q(t)=50+t Coulombs (C) flows into an electric component. Find the current flow.

I'm not sure if I have all the relevant information.

The instantaneous current (not current flow) is the derivative of the charge flow, q = 50+t, with respect to time. The derivative is 1, so the instantaneous current (not current flow) is 1 amp.

Ratch

Hi Ratchit,

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible to explain how you got the 1 amp.

I think I may have been side tracked, by thinking the 50 in the equation was equal to Q=C x V.

Many thanks.

Abbsdad,

I already did. I took the derivative of the charge flow (50+t) with respect to time. That gives a value of 1 amp. Are you familiar with derivatives?

I think I may have been side tracked, by thinking the 50 in the equation was equal to Q=C x V.

50 is a constant, whose derivative is zero.

Ratch

I believe you are confusing the terms. This equation relates to charge on a capacitor. This C is capacitance in farads and Q is the charge. It is not the same as the charge C (coulombs) in your first equation.

Many thanks.

Look at it this way. Current is charge per unit time, and has units of coulumbs/seconds or, equivalently, amps. So, for the equation q(t)=50 + t, the only term on the right side that contributes to current is the second term. The first is just a constant. It shows that 50 coulumbs of charge was present in the component to start with, but the component is accumulating charge at the rate of "t" coulumbs per second. So, at t=1 second, the component accumulates 1 more coulumb of charge, at t=2 seconds, it accumulates 2 coulumbs, etc. One coulumb per second is 1 amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back