Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Drain for MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ren_zokuken01

**broken link removed**

So I've always thought there was only one current flowing through a MOSFET in Linear mode and Saturation -- I_d, but why is there an I_s here in this diagram?

Rs is part of the bias stabilization. It is usually bypassed with a capacitor if you want max voltage gain in the stage. Otherwise, the voltage gain is Rd/Rs.

Id and Is are very close, but not equal. Part of Id goes out to the load and not through the source. Also, while the gate current is very low, it does exist, and becomes part of Is that is not coming through the drain.

ak

Id and Is are very close, but not equal. Part of Id goes out to the load and not through the source. ...

Huh? In a three terminal MosFet?

How is Id not equal to -Is? Note the gate current... It is FNZ

242.gif

Last edited:
In the circuit in post #1, the gate current has an AC component.
In a power MOSFET the gate capacitance can exceed 1 nF.
At a frequency of 10 kHz this is an impedance of only 16 kohm.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back