Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Controlled Voltage Source Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikali

Fyi, its Ix and Iy, looks weird in the drawing. But I just need some help getting started on this one. I know the answers for Ix=3.57 and Iy=2.86(given in example). But my answers are different. When I try a KVL or KCL I get confused at the 4ohm resistor. I know the current going into 10v should be Ix. Since current going in must equal current going out. But when I write my equations their wrong :( I would love a starting point.

Attachments

• circuit 2.png
    circuit 2.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 313
What is the diamond shaped thing on the right side labelled "4lx"? A bridge rectifier? Its polarity is backwards.

mikali,

This problem is best solved by node analysis. Let V represent the voltage where the three resistors are connected. Once you calculate V, you can get any other circuit value you desire. The attachment shows the node calculation. Only one equation is needed, and the value of V comes to 20/7 volts.
mikali.JPG

Ratch

Thanks for the help, once I get fluent at analysis I'll try and return the favor. But so far I haven't learned nodal analysis. I am, in the next section though, I was wondering how you would solve it using mesh. If you don't feel like telling me its ok, im learning it soon. But the reason I ask is b/c its one of the HW problems that asks to use KVL or KCL to solve. And its been bothering me all day, I guess its just one of those days you make the dumbest mistakes.

mikali,

Doing node analysis is using KCL. But if you want to do it using loop analysis or KVL using two equations, then the following is for your viewing pleasure.

mikali.JPG

Ratch

Hi Miles,

Yes, it's being used as a current controlled voltage source.

Also, this problem is also a little interesting to do using superposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back