Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Calculation for Audio Amplifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike poon

I have one Bryston Amplifer designed for 4 ohm and 8 ohm load. I need to find out what is the output current if I replace the load with 1.5 ohm load. Amplifier rated at 900W at 4ohm and 600W at 8ohm.

Can someone please enlighten me?

mike poon said:
I have one Bryston Amplifer designed for 4 ohm and 8 ohm load. I need to find out what is the output current if I replace the load with 1.5 ohm load. Amplifier rated at 900W at 4ohm and 600W at 8ohm.

Can someone please enlighten me?

If the amplifier is rated at 4 ohms, then you can't feed a 1.5 ohm load from it, you would destroy the amplifier - or (if lucky) the protection circuits 'might' protect it. As the amp derates so massively from 8 ohm to 4 ohm (4 ohm should be double 8 ohm, 1200W), you don't have a chance at 1.5 ohm.

The calculations are simple enough though, W=IxIxR or W=VxV/R and V=IxR. Use the second formula to work out the voltage at 8 ohms, then the third one to work out the current using the voltage you just calculated and the load (1.5 ohms).

But DON'T actually do it, the amplifier won't stand it!.

right. your amp prob has some sort of output current 'limit'. (so you dont fry it). Never good to rely on that, though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back