Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Curious about everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintek

I'm 54 and haven't really met anyone in person who is interested in electronics. As a result, I've never seen an example of how other people enjoy this hobby. So just out of curiosity, what is everyone like? Are you a type of person that hoards any parts you find, or just buy what you need? Is your workspace just a desk in a room, or an industrial complex built into a volcano? Do you actively look for a project, or just do what is needed at the moment? Is it messy or neat?Anything else you would like to add that is interesting?

I'll start: I grab any parts I can find, and actively look for them. My lab is in a barn and I still don't have enough space. Both. Both!
Interesting: the previous owner of my house had already converted part of the barn into a shop, but I had to replace the workbenches because he was VERY short and they were only waist high to me. And I am 5'8"...

Last edited:
I was gifted with a decent sized closet for building my projects. The bigger stuff I do in the garage.
I have many hobbies that some might not associate with someone who messes with electronics. My hobbies often fluctuates and sometimes I spend a season just focusing on one more than the others.

I like Gymnastics, Guitar and piano, Ink sketching, Rock climbing, anything outdoors, photography, urban exploring, free running, and of course building with electronics and sometimes hacking with linux.

I think I might have broken the record for the amount of comas used in a post.

I got interested in electronics and computers in the early 70s & started building my own gadgets and eventually computers.
As of about 1980, someone asked if I could repair a computer - which turned out to be a core memory Minicomputer running a CNC Machine tool.

I've been designing and repairing industrial control systems and machine tools ever since, in addition to electronics etc. as a hobby.

That also means I've got an accumulation of parts stretching back most of that time, plus my own hobby electronics / audio / music / computer equipment collections.

I have a large detached bungalow (single storey house) with a large separate garage, and a good part of it is basically storage that happens to have a bed & kitchen included!
One of my friends called it a whole house man cave..

My "office" / desktop workspace has cupboards full of compartment cases and plastic boxes for small components and projects in progress, shelves full of folders and five (that I can see at present) PCs.

The dining room table hosts a 3D printer, one end of the living room has a large TV and surround sound system, the other end has by "music room" with multi channel recording system, keyboards, about a dozen guitars (repairing them is another hobby) and a drum kit..

The garage (about 20 x 20ft internal) has industrial racking on one wall, stacked with machine drives, cable reels and other large parts, and a workbench on another wall for woodworking & testing large electrical gear.

The house also has a loft/attic for storage and I added one in the garage.

(I'll leave out details of stuff "stored" where it was temporarily put down some time ago...)

I got interested in electronics and computers in the early 70s & started building my own gadgets and eventually computers.
As of about 1980, someone asked if I could repair a computer - which turned out to be a core memory Minicomputer running a CNC Machine tool.....

Wow, this sounds like my setup. A detached barn, with a living space, drum kit and guitars, woodshop, lots of PC's and audio gear.
We have taken similar paths...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back