Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cup sensor - diodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dion

Hi. I removed two leds(?) from my coffee machine, which determine if a cup is in position or not. One is red, and the other transparent. How do they do what they do? I would like to use the idea in another project, and need a simple diagram to duplicate the action. This projects power source will be 220 vac. How do I determine what these two components are.

Many thanks,
Dion

This would work a lot better if you presented the brand and model of the coffee maker. Then maybe we could find a schematic or a person that is familiar with that brand.

This is just a simple project if you want to do it. An IR pair to detect the presence of the cup, compared using op-amps the comparator drives the red LED. The transparent LED is a super bright green, perhaps?

IR switch

Here is a link to a simple detector. If this is what you are looking for we can go from there.

**broken link removed**

I think this is exactly what I need. I want to use this to automate a chicken feeder. When the auger fills up the last feeder in a line, the motor must stop. When the chicken feed level drops again, the motor is switched on etc.

I think this is exactly what I need. I want to use this to automate a chicken feeder. When the auger fills up the last feeder in a line, the motor must stop. When the chicken feed level drops again, the motor is switched on etc.

This could get into the need for two sensors. If I use an auger to fill a hopper stopping the process when the hopper is full is easy but as soon as the hopper goes down just a little we don't want to fill again do we? We want the hopper to be pretty close to empty before we start another fill cycle right?

Ron

Maybe you could draw us a picture so we are all together. You said 220 volts ac. Can you tell us how many amps?
Can you read a schematic and solder?

Yes to both, but I still class myself as a beginner in both cases. The amperage is not specified on the motor. I can request it from the manufacturer.

Dion

Attachments

• feeder.JPG
    feeder.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 148
Not quite sure I've got it yet. It looks like the silo (With the feed) is on a lead screw that can move it back and forth to at least 2 feed stations so I guess it needs to work like this: Feed is low at a station go to that station and fill it up. Or, once a day push start and the motor travels to each station and fills it if needed and stops at the other end. I think we could use relays for the motor... How does the silo turn on and off?

The feed is gravity fed into a smaller holding container. A spring(auger) moves this feed down the indicated pipe(about 25mm diam), through the feeders(containers the birds feed from). The feed falls through holes in the pipe in which the spring is turning and moving the food as a result. Usually 2 feeders at a time will fill up to the hole in the pipe. The feed them effectively blocks the feed from falling from the pipe, and causes the next two feeders to start filling up etc, until we reach the last. When the last one reaches a certain level, it must stop the motor, and then restart when a minimum level is reached.

Hope this makes more sense.

Feeder

OK! I think I got it. It just keeps moving the feed down the pipe from the silo. So you just need one sensor to say a station needs feed. No need to reverse or anything.
See what you think about this circuit. Basically if a station is low it turns the motor on until they are all full. The power supply can just be a wall wart regulator (12v 100ma or more) I used parts from Mouser, but almost anything can be substituted. You can adjust R1 to get the right sensitivity. Might need to shield the Photo transistor like they discussed in the other circuit to keep the ambient light out. Take a look and see what you think. I don't know how many stations you have but you can just add more transistors and comparitors. I would add the emitters in groups of 4. Use twisted pair wire to get the sensor signal back to the motor to try to keep the noise down.

Attachments

• fEEDER.GIF
    fEEDER.GIF
    34.6 KB · Views: 138
No problem. Gives everyone a chance to look at it to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back