Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal vs Crystal Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

danuke

I'm wondering what (if any) advantages there are to HC49 Case Crystals vs. Full Can TTL Crystal Oscillators. I've seen both sold online and just wondered if one is better than the other or if they are the same just with different packages.

To me, a crystal oscillator has everything inside it and just outputs a clock signal that you feed straight into a single uC pin while a crystal is just one component of the oscillating circuit and still needs some capacitors and resistors to work (thus needing two pin on the uC).

felis said:
Oscillators are more expensive. They are easier to use. They can't be tuned, however; also, you can't build quartz filter using an oscillator.
there are tunable oscilltors too. they provide a pin called Vtune.

the internal varicap could be controlled to suite your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back