Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

I don't know much about crystal oscillators, so I've got a question:

Can crystal oscillators change frequency? like from 88-108 MHZ? Or even a bigger range hopefully?

zachtheterrible said:
I don't know much about crystal oscillators, so I've got a question:

Can crystal oscillators change frequency? like from 88-108 MHZ? Or even a bigger range hopefully?

No! - the whole point of a crystal is that it's a stable accurate frequency.

To provide a wide range, with crystal accuracy, you would normally use a Phase Locked Loop system, with a crystal as reference.

Amateur radio operators use crystals and a variable capacitor to provide some variation however the variation is quite small - a few kHz at most. They use the term VXO.

stevez said:
Amateur radio operators use crystals and a variable capacitor to provide some variation however the variation is quite small - a few kHz at most. They use the term VXO.
I believe the term is VCXO: Voltage-Controlled Crystal (Xtal) Oscillator.

well then, is there any way, other than w/ an LC circuit to get wide frequency range? I heard of something w/ an LC circuit that used a crystal as a reference or something like that. Any ideas???

zachtheterrible said:
well then, is there any way, other than w/ an LC circuit to get wide frequency range? I heard of something w/ an LC circuit that used a crystal as a reference or something like that. Any ideas???

As I posted above, it's called a Phase Locked Loop.

Oh sry :oops: i missed that. My transmitter is extremely small, a little bigger than a pink eraser. I want my transmitter small; is a phase locked loop system small enough for a small transmitter? also, what kind of variation in frequency can you get from it? I read a definition on google, and it mentioned that it is used to step up frequency or something like that.

Here is an example.I found this about years ago somewhere on the net.

Attachments

• pllfmtx.jpg
    pllfmtx.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 681
Sebi said:
Here is an example.I found this about years ago somewhere on the net.

That's quite nice! - but rather too simple, it just provides a single frequency based on the crystal.

A full PLL tuning system uses programmable dividers to adjust the frequency, and gives a large tuning range in channel steps as small as you want to make them.

But I suspect a PLL system is probably too complicated for what he wants!.

The simpler form of 'adjustable' crystal oscillator is probably VXO - just small variable capacitor that's adjusted by hand to get a little bit of range. I agree that replacing the variable capacitor with a varactor (or other) diode and a pot is still pretty simple.

stevez said:
The simpler form of 'adjustable' crystal oscillator is probably VXO - just small variable capacitor that's adjusted by hand to get a little bit of range. I agree that replacing the variable capacitor with a varactor (or other) diode and a pot is still pretty simple.

Yes, VXO (Variable Xtal Oscillator) is the correct name, I've never seen VCXO used - and it obviously wouldn't apply to your original mention of a variable capacitor across a crystal!.

BTW, this technique is called 'pulling' a crystal, and as you say it only works over a very small range - and it also reduces the crystals accuracy somewhat.

Nigel Goodwin said:
stevez said:

Yes, VXO (Variable Xtal Oscillator) is the correct name, I've never seen VCXO used - and it obviously wouldn't apply to your original mention of a variable capacitor across a crystal!.

BTW, this technique is called 'pulling' a crystal, and as you say it only works over a very small range - and it also reduces the crystals accuracy somewhat.
My apologies, Steve. My thoughts jumped to modulating the crystal oscillator frequency by using a varicap (varactor) in place of the manually adjustable cap, and controlling it with audio. I assure you VCXOs are common, and are commercially available from many sources. As I think you pointed out, getting the deviation required for an FM transmitter is probably impossible.
**broken link removed** is Harry Lythall's article that accompanied the schematic posted by Sebi. It has a good discussion of the problem, and how he got around it with a PLL.

Ron - don't worry, wasn't bothered by the comment, just helps others to get different points of view so I tossed another bit in. "Rubbering" is another word I've seen used by journal article authors to describe the process.

you can possibly run off of harmonics but i wouldnt suggest it, i personally would go with a voltage controlled oscillator. a simple one to work with would be a 74624. i tend to use them alot myself. if you do go into pll circuits like what they mentioned try a NE565 and i think a NE564 are both pll circuits and are pretty simple to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back