Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Oscillator Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

regomodo

Hi, for my FPGA project i need a fancy clock. I've designed all that using vhdl but it requires an external clock.

I have chosen values in my VHDL that would work with a 4MHz signal. I have my eyes on a 2pin 4MHz crystal +- 20ppm.

However, i have no idea how to use it. There is no datasheet (presumably because it's such a simple device).

Do i connect 1 pin to +5v and the other to my FPGA?

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

No, you need to build an oscillator around it - presumably your FPGA includes that capability?, or you can use a CMOS gate to do it (google crystal oscillator).

Cheers. That makes more sense. I haven't the time to do more designing so i think i'll use a 4 Pin SG-51 series crystal oscillator chip. As far as i can tell it has 5v in and creates the 4MHz 0/5v output signal (i'm a little hazy on that issue)

**broken link removed**

Let me know if i'm wrong.

As far as i know (and according to a more knowledgeable classmate) the spartan 2e varies it's clock speed.

If anybody knows how to create a 1ms high/249ms low clock signal in VHDL i'd like to know as days of googling has found nothing. Plus, the only VHDL book at my university is hopeless. It hasn't helped much (except for a minimal counter design).

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back