Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crystal oscillator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin29_neci

guys. Thanks a lot. I learned a lot in this forums.

However, we all know that a television set has a micro controller.
My question is is it safe to check the oscillator beside the microcontroller with a frequency counter?

What i meant is that when I check the crystal oscillator using a frequency counter will it not damage the micro controller?

Thanks!!! :wink:

jin29_neci said:
guys. Thanks a lot. I learned a lot in this forums.

However, we all know that a television set has a micro controller.
My question is is it safe to check the oscillator beside the microcontroller with a frequency counter?

What i meant is that when I check the crystal oscillator using a frequency counter will it not damage the micro controller?

Thanks!!! :wink:

No, it won't damage it, but you may need to use a x10 probe, as the capacitive load may stop the oscillator.

But generally, it's not usual to use a frequency counter on a clock crystal, a scope (again with x10 probe) is more practical.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, it won't damage it, but you may need to use a x10 probe, as the capacitive load may stop the oscillator.

But generally, it's not usual to use a frequency counter on a clock crystal, a scope (again with x10 probe) is more practical.

However, if one was to tweak the frequency a clock crystal in a time piece then an oscilloscope is not as precise a a good frequency counter.

Klaus

Klaus said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

However, if one was to tweak the frequency a clock crystal in a time piece then an oscilloscope is not as precise a a good frequency counter.

Certainly so, but it's a rare thing to do, and the application of the counter to the crystal (as in this thread) would change it too much anyway, you generally do that after an existing buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back