Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Mic - can I substitute condenser mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi guys,

Just looking at a circuit that shows a crystal microphone and as I have no experience of them I wondered if anyone new if a condenser mic would suffice?

I have no idea of the pros and cons of either and compatibility, does anyone have any specs or knowledge of crystal mics vs condensers ?

Thanks for looking.............Al

A crystal microphone is 100 years old and was used with a vaccum tube preamp.
Welcome to 2008 where electret microphones and dynamic microphones are used. Their preamp is simple.

bigal_scorpio said:
Hi guys,

Just looking at a circuit that shows a crystal microphone and as I have no experience of them I wondered if anyone new if a condenser mic would suffice?

I have no idea of the pros and cons of either and compatibility, does anyone have any specs or knowledge of crystal mics vs condensers ?

You don't really give enough information?, but a 'condensor mike' requires a 48V phantom power supply, and is usually 600 ohms impedance, completely different to a crystal mike. An antique crystal mike is a very high impedance, 1Mohm upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back