Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crude 555 Boost Converter Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DestonianTheory

Hey, I was hoping someone wouldn't mind taking a look at this design for me. I am hoping to get some input or even a better idea altogether. This is my first attempt at an inductive SMPS of any kind. The closest I have come is a low current voltage doubler (capacitive) driven directly from the 555's totem-pole output.

The configuration of the 555 in this circuit is one I had never seen before, I found it in a schematic while looking around for some hints. It does, however, seem to work.

When running in the simulator (multisim), Iam pretty happy with the operation (at least considering what I am working with). When I breadboarded the circuit, I wasn't able to get any appreciable current. I think this might be simply because of the capacitances, inductances, etc. associated with the breadboard, or a combination of this and other things.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• destin boost converter.jpg
    destin boost converter.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 573
Hello,

Is there a reason why you want to use a 555 and not a chip made for voltage boosting/regulation ?

well, I have a UC3842 or an AS3842 on hand, I'm just more familiar with the 555, so i'm basically trying to get my feet wet you could say. Aside from the datasheet, perhaps you could point me in the right direction to build a circuit based on one of those chips I mentioned. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back