Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creative SBS 5.1 560, no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaia

So I have a Creative SBS 560 sound system, don't work for quite some time. Power is on, green light is on when is plugged to electricity, but I don't get any sound.

So I disassembled the subwoofer so I can get access to the eletronics, here are some pics:

Any tips for testing to see if there is a way to fix this system?

Are you getting DC power on to the actual amplifier board?
eg. Can you check the voltage between pins 4 & 8 on one of the 4558 dual opamp ICs??

And can you post better photos - a large part of the PCB is in shadow & nothing legible.

There will ne another PCB or block for the AC input & power supply somewhere in the thing; it could be that it has power, but nothing beyond that. Testing power on the amp board ICs is a good starting point.

[I had a creative 5.1 surround system for a while; it was a terrible design and I ended up scrapping it and using the speakers with a homemade amp setup].

Yes the power supply is external (see picture below). No idea how to open it, tomorrow am going to try and open it with a heat gun following these instructions

Can you tell me how I test the 4558 opamp ics using a multimeter? Do I need the unit to be connected to electricity?
Here are more pictures, the PCB has a piece of metal glued to it and it's a mess, I don't know if and how I should remove that, maybe with the heat gun too?

Another pic with PCB and cables and stuff:

I also opened the volume controller:

These speakers had very mediocre sound, I think even the speakers are not worth keeping to use it on an amp (now my creative dtt 2200 is another story, these speakers have very good sound in my opinion and I still use them to this day). I was just wondering if I could repair these sbs 560 before I throw them in the trash.

Can you tell me how I test the 4558 opamp ics using a multimeter?
You are not "testing the opamp" as such, just checking for dc voltage across pins 4 & 8, as they should be connected to the amp power supply.
It's a way of seeing if the amp is getting power or not.

Don't open the power unit until you have checked the output directly from that and found it is definitely faulty!

I get no voltage readings on pins 4 and 8 of those opamp ics. In fact, the green led does not power anymore lol. I'm sure it was working yesterday. Should I open the wall adapter to check it? Maybe I could use the power supply of my creative dtt 2200 to test (image below)?

You don't need to open them, just test the voltage at the output connections / input connector at the amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back