Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating Strobe FX on a 7Segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

I made a mistake while doing the PWM for dimmer control with a 4 digit 7 seg. display and I got an interesting effect.

I believe it can be useful as a highlighting technique.

Rather than run the PWM dimmer from the same timebase as the strobe routine, you can run it from a slightly different time base or from a dynamic time base once the time bases are within say 20-50% of each other.

What happens is u get a modulating beat (wave) pattern occurring , this shows up as a bright band passing across the digits. If u have a sensor feeding the PIC u can actually have the band change speed based on the sensor value, by using the sensor value to alter the timebase.

I think it could be useful for alarm functions as peripheral vision is disturbed by this odd wave effect on the display. It attracts attention even if u r not looking directly at the display.

BTW, u can't simulate this....it's gotta be done on a real prototype.

It's also a useful way to show that data is changing rapidly (fast moving band) while displaying 1/2 sec legible readout snapshots on the 4 digit display, eg RPM.

Last edited:
Strobe Update:

While achieving a better than 50Hz refresh rate for all the LED digits is required to avoid flicker, you have to consider the PWM dimmer as a direct modifier of this.

If u have a refresh rate of 5 ms per digit for a 4 digit display that totals 5x4 for 20ms which is 50Hz. BUT if u introduce pwm dimming you must compensate with a faster refresh rate.

If u use a 50% DC PWM your refresh rate needs to be 2x as fast etc. A 25% PWM dimmer requires a refresh rate 4x faster than the minimum. So that means 1.25ms/digit rather than 5 ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back